warning buzzer won't go off until engine fires and tach stopped working

89sandman

Seaman
98 bayliner mercruizer 5.7l carb. my buzzer would always beep when i turned on the key. today was raising my outdrive and turned on the key while raising it to watch the trim gauge. now the thing buzzes as soon as i turn on the key until the engine fires. its a very loud and piercing alarm and is gonna make me deaf:) does it warm or cold. checked oil res and oil pressure is same as it always has been. once engine fires it stops and i'm at peace again, any ideas???
the tach stopped working last time out, checked wiring at the coil and back of gauge and all is hooked up as it should, from the wiring diagram it looks as if all the gauges use a common hot wire. any ideas on this one???

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: warning buzzer won't go off until engine fires and tach stopped working

98 bayliner mercruizer 5.7l carb. my buzzer would always beep when i turned on the key. today was raising my outdrive and turned on the key while raising it to watch the trim gauge. now the thing buzzes as soon as i turn on the key until the engine fires. its a very loud and piercing alarm and is gonna make me deaf:) does it warm or cold. checked oil res and oil pressure is same as it always has been. once engine fires it stops and i'm at peace again, any ideas???

Sounds like it's working properly to me.. With the engine not running you have no oil pressure... That is an alarm condition, so the alarm should sound....

89sandman said:
the tach stopped working last time out, checked wiring at the coil and back of gauge and all is hooked up as it should, from the wiring diagram it looks as if all the gauges use a common hot wire. any ideas on this one???

When you say 'stopped working'... Can you be more specific.. (I can't see it from where I'm standing :)). Does it move down to 0 when you turn the key? Does it drift up when the key is OFF?

Chris.....

89sandman

Seaman

the alarm always just beeped before when i turned on the key, now it blares sooooo loud. you'd think the end of the world is coming;) don't notice any of the other boats doing this??? as far as the tach its totally dead, sits at 0 all the time, does nothing even when the key is switched on and off. found a pretty good wiring diagram last night and am gonna test the tach wiring today. not too worried about getting that figured out, looks pretty simple from the diagram. figured i'd check the power and ground first then do a continuity check from the coil to the tach, one of them is bad or the tach itself is:)
thanx for the reply achris!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If it's completely dead (no movement at all), then just check power and ground. If they are both ok, then the tacho needs to be 'float tested'... (replaced)... A bad wire from the coil wouldn't kill it completely...

Chris.....

89sandman

Seaman

float tested, lmfao:) never did get around to it today. was busy digging the wood our of my speedo port on the outdrive and installing a new cd player. hopefully tommorow, but need to get speakers in for the weekend!!! priorities...