1982 70hp Johnson Trim/Tilt problem. Please Help

Etadpole

Cadet
I have a 1982 70HP Johnson seahorse. We took it out today and the tilt/tirm started giving me a problem. The tilt/trim motor will run and it will go down but when you tilt up the motor sounds funny and it will not lift without someone pulling up to assist it. When I took the boat out of the water today and was tilting down to secure the motor to the trailer when it hit the craddle/support and stopped there was fluid squirting/dripping from the fitting that the black arrow is pointing too in the photo. Also is the screw that the red arrow is pointing to the fill plug? On a side note does this photo indicate that I have tilt but not trim, because it would not trim out when we were on the water today. I believe that there is an o-ring inside that fitting and I found a diagram that refers to a ADPTR FITTING & NUT PKG. PRESTOLITE TILT CYLINDER??? I should mention that this boat has been setting for the last 5 years. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• boat tilt1.jpg
    boat tilt1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 1982 70hp Johnson Trim/Tilt problem. Please Help

What is the model number of your motor?

That system looks to be non standard compared to what would normally be fitted.....the red arrow is pointing to the reservoir fill plug.

The normal factory fitted tilt/trim system for an '82 70hp looks like this.....

26.png

All hydraulic components including the electric motor are between the transom brackets.....what do you have on the port side between the brackets?......maybe its a tilt only system.....post pics showing more detail.

Etadpole

Cadet
Re: 1982 70hp Johnson Trim/Tilt problem. Please Help

Here is some more pictures. The fitting in the cylinder that the line screws into is broke. Any suggestions on how to remove the piece that is still screwed in the cylinder?

photo.jpgphoto (1).jpgphoto (2).jpg