OMC trim/tilt motor mounts (fail)

Lsnow

Cadet
My boat ran great today....for the first two hours. After that, it seemed to run fine while pulling a tube, but then moving from one location to another at wot, the engine started to lose power. So I thought about removing the air filter to see if that would help. But when I removed the engine cover, I noticed that the trim/tilt motor mounts on the starboard side of the engine had pulled away from the hull and had rotated about 45 degrees. I didn't dare go wot again, so I limped back to the boat ramp, loaded the boat on the trailer and called it a day. What would cause the trim/tilt motor mounts to pull away from the hull and how can I re-secure them so it won't happen again?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC trim/tilt motor mounts (fail)

What would cause the trim/tilt motor mounts to pull away from the hull and how can I re-secure them so it won't happen again?

Rotten wood.
Replace stringers... big job. There is a boat restoration forum here where you can get structural info.

Lsnow

Cadet
Re: OMC trim/tilt motor mounts (fail)

Motor mounts removed, fiberglass and stringer ground out, re-glassed and re-enforced the area, re-installed motor mounts with a metal bracket connecting the mounts together and attached with good new hardware into a solid stringer. Going to the lake tomorrow for a test run.