Mercury 250 Verado Problem

william welter

Recruit
I have a 2007 Mercury Verado 250 outboard engine. Only 120 hours to date.

I have had this recurring problem- It starts and runs fine. When I stop to fish and then restart it gurgles, stalls and eventually quits. I turn it off, wait a minute and it is ok. But this happens every time I go out. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Mercury 250 Verado Problem

does it have the fuel module? it may be a cracked "vacuum" hose In the fuel module to the fuel regulator allows gas to be sucked into the intake manifold> I have this problem and was searching for those who have it too. mine is 115EFT 4 stroke, 2007.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check the fuel level sensor in the VST.

william welter

Recruit

does it have the fuel module? it may be a cracked "vacuum" hose In the fuel module to the fuel regulator allows gas to be sucked into the intake manifold> I have this problem and was searching for those who have it too. mine is 115EFT 4 stroke, 2007.

It is a Mercury Verado 250, year 2007. I am not sure if it has fuel module, but taking the boat in this week to Merc dealer. Will report back to you. Thanks Bill

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It has a fuel module. Thats where the level sensor (reed switch) resides.

william welter

Recruit

I finally got my Verado back and the problem I had was the fuel module. The hose and the float switch had to be replaced. Mercury acknowledges this is a problem but refuses to issue a recall. The hose also had to be replaced. Mine was a 2007 with only 115 hours on the engine. Seems like a major defect issue. My next motor will not be a Mercury. Thanks everybody. B Welter

I thought the same thing after 2 times. Carried it to a dealer 90 mile away and he said warrant was out!!!
1st time they put factory fix when it FUEL locked my engine , tore up fly wheel, starter gear and starter. $2000 warranty.
I decided to fix it at a local shop where the guys are great and we investigated the problem together. (I do some failure analysis work professionally.) I have ~120hrs. Surprise during my investigation. YAMAHA motor! Mercury fuel module >made Meriza-manelli with Weber fuel regulator and great Walbro Italian fuel pumps. Yamah does not use the regulator in the fuel module.
You may have a Yamaha motor.
I found out that Mercury does not make a 4 stoke. They buy Yamaha motors and ....
The vinyl hose to the fuel regulator in the fuel module needs to be changed to "Buna-N rubber" or it will happen again. I have a 115, 4 stroke efi and it happen twice. We made the change on our own. sending recommendation to mercury to consider since they put their fuel module on a Yamaha. The factory hose will not last if it is the vinyl type as a number on mechanics have reported. They say it is not in gas but there is external gas in the module ~1/2 way up to the float. The hose is a vacuum hose from the intake manifold, if it is like mine. Vacuum controls the fuel pressure regulator. Mine popped during idol because the vacuum is the most.
You can follow it and unplug it at the module to test. 'm not a mechanic just fixing mine with a great mechanic and looking for others with same issue on Iboats. get buna-n rubber from McMaster.com
We are trying to eliminate this issue.
had to soften the hard rubber with some heat. Then bend to fit. Tried copper but could not get fitting to SEAL and it smoke when it sucked fumes in around the fittings.

Attachments

• P6130079.jpg
    P6130079.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P6130086.jpg
    P6130086.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

william welter

Recruit

I spoke with Mercury and the mechanic who fixed my fuel sensor and hose. They both said the Verado engine does not contain any Yamaha parts or small motors, but at one time pre-Verado motors did have Yamaha parts etc. I am not sure if they replaced the hose with copper or not. Left a message for them on that.

Makes me nervous though..thanks for your help. Bill

the fuel parts are from mercury not yamaha. I also found the input hose from the tank failing on the inside. fixed with 3/8" ethanol proof fuel injection hose from auto parts store ~$3/ft. You can look up pictures as parts using your model and serial on Iboats parts
Final fuel regulator fix is also shownP8020022 hose interior failure.jpgP8020024Hose interior failure.jpgP8020029fuel regulator vac hose.jpg

in the fuel reg picture there are 2 hoses shown. 1 is from Suzuki wave runner (service team had) and the black one for auto parts. Must fit tight on the regulator. We tried another hose and it was not tight and sucked vapors from the module, unplugged vacuum hose ran fine. We replaced the fuel regulator before we discovered the tightness problem.