Re-Installing the Bearing Head/Evinrude 200 Vindicator

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I better ask before I bolt it all in.

What kind of lube should I use on the O-Rings around the head bearing assembly at the top of the engine?

Should I use a "gasket maker" like Permatex Grey when I bolt that head bearing assembly back on?

I assume I should coat the roller bearings in the bearing head with moly grease before securing, correct?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Re-Installing the Bearing Head/Evinrude 200 Vindicator

Only lube to be used both on O-rings and roller bearing is 2-stroke oil.
Be sure you get it correctly lined up before pushing down, NO twisting/turning!!
Double check for sharp edges that may cut the O-rings when pushing down.
After installed, take a syringe with 2-stroke oil and check that the oil channel from the external resirc hose is open.

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Evinrude 200, Vindicator, 1996:

OK, I've got the head bearing assembly back together and all looks great.

I do have a question however.

After installing two new O-Rings, I lubricated the roller bearings as recommended in my manual. But I couldn't get the bearing assembly to just slide down into the bore. I lubed the O-Rings, but still had to gently tap, tap, tap the sides the assembly with a small piece of wood and a mallet before it finally snugged in and around the crankshaft. When it "went," it sort of just popped down and in.

Did I do something wrong? Should it have slid down into the crankcase without the aid of a light wooden mallet?

Thanks in advance for the help I've had here. Invaluable!!

Haffiman

Commander

Some pressing force or tapping needed. Just hope the O-rings did not get damaged. Check that the lubrication to bearing is OK by using a syringe filled with 2T oil where the upper resirc hose is attached.