Air Pressure Gauge Question

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks.

When we went out the last weekend with my inflatable (Intex Mariner 4), I've noticed the pressure on the back tubes became lower because the motor mount dug in when I gave full throttle on my trolling motor (55lbs trust). I never had this problem before. I feel the pressure needs to be adjust more accurately. I am thinking about buying a gauge.

I have four tubes with Boston Valves. What kind of gauge works best with this kind of valves? And I also have a keel tube which has a regular pool toy kind of value. I wonder if there's such gauge works for both kind or not...

Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Air Pressure Gauge Question

Contact the manufacturer and ask if they have a appropriate gauge for those inflatables, anyway those cheap boats will engine rock anyway compared to a solid transom found on more pricey inflatables. It's ths sole nature of the beast.

Happy Boating

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anyway those cheap boats will engine rock anyway compared to a solid transom found on more pricey inflatables. It's ths sole nature of the beast.

No it was me, not the boat as it was fine before.

Found K-pump makes one.

http://www.cabelas.com/float-tube-pontoon-accessories-k-pump-kwik-check-pressure-gauge-150-boston-valves.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03114194&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=3D2717EE-7F1F-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=5855055624&mr:keyword={keyword}

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

K-Pump is a good business to deal with. I have an air gauge and two hand pumps from them. Keep an eye on the chambers in the hot sun Loop Dad . Found my tubes increased to 4.6 but I have safety valves that will vent (hopefully) automatically too.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was expected to be a hot day that day, so I went a bit easy on them. That's what happened. As a proud owner of one of "those cheap boats", I'll have to practice checking the pressure often through out the day.

BTW, for a gauge, it occurred to me that if I can put one inline with the air pump hose, then that can be use for any kind of valve when you are pumping. If anyone knows a good gauge for such use, please let me know.

:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Can you post pictures of your current air valve ? Have many different gauges, hoses, so probably could recommned a good one depending on you type of valve. You may need something like this.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Hose & Gauge.JPG
    Hose & Gauge.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 2

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, Sea Rider, I think something like that is what I need. Or I can just buy the gauge so that I can attach to the hose of the pump came with the boat.

Here are some pics of the hose of the pump, Boston valve and the valve of the keel (pool toy valve). The hose in the first picture attaches to both Boston valve and the pool toy valve without using any of the adopters hanging by the hose. The second hose picture is the end goes to the hand pump.

4fv3hx.jpg

2rc94zk.jpg

jf9idd.jpg

2cq1zer.jpg

28qrt4p.jpg

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, the boat's required pressure is 1.14 psi.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The posted pic correspond to a Bravo 4 Alum hand pump, the issue for the gauge to read once you stopped pumping at any given moment is that air valve must be pressed at all times to read properly by means of a pin inside the adapter. Most hand and foot pumps hoses are for Halkey Roberts air valves type which have a spring pin. If your valve has a central rubber pin diaphragm, probably Yellow Zodiac air gauges can work, the issue with them is that the round scale reads in colors not by PSI.

Happy Boating