foot knock after replacing water pump..... what happend?

Mike__Bell

Recruit
well I replaced the water pump in my boat motor (92 yamaha 25h 2 stroke) and the gear oil in the foot. But now I have a knocking at the foot when its in nutrual. In drive and reverse its fine with no knocking. But when going from reverse to nutrual its like it is grinding into gear. not really grinding but its knocking.... Any ideas??? I think it has something to do with the shift linkage. But Im not sure how or what to do or check it for location... Did I put it back together with the shift linkage wrong or engauged or something?

Re: foot knock after replacing water pump..... what happend?

Are you sure it was perfect before you change water pump and oil ?

On my 85 Suzuki, the cable from the control unit (gaz and transmission cable) are working together so you have to make sure that transmission one is not to tight or loose (too near from reverse or forward position while on neutral) Mine is ajustable with a screwed plastic end that you can tight or loose to get the transmission stick up or down.
Just have a look to that ...
I hope it can help !

Mike__Bell

Recruit
Re: foot knock after replacing water pump..... what happend?

I think I fixed it! I started it up and moved the linkage up and down with a screw driver to figure out which way I needed to go to get it to stop knocking. I had to move it down to get it to stop. So I droped the foot again to make I was down all the way with the linkage rod, and then looked at the long brass colored nut and it was flush with the rod going up into the motor. It looks like the rods were butted against each other. So I adjusted it down a bit to give it a gap between the rods (inside the long nut) and put every thing back together AND NO MORE KNOCKING!!!: