Rethinking Going Out on The Lake for Independence Day.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got off the phone with the wife. We had planned to go to the lake to watch fireworks this evening, but it would be our first night attempt, and pop up thunderstorms are here now. The heat of the day later will likely bring more. We're just not convinced that this is a good time to test our skill set.

What say you?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rethinking Going Out on The Lake for Independence Day.

Better safe than sorry. Remember many others on the lake will be less qualified than you but will go out anyway. And unfortunately drinking and fireworks go together adding to what was a poor decision. There is always next year and you can plan an early on/late off to avoid the ramp crowds. You will have some more night time experience and hopefully no bad weather. Maybe you and the missus can find a spot on shore to watch tonight. And close to the car just in case the skies open. Enjoy!

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Better safe than sorry. Remember many others on the lake will be less qualified than you but will go out anyway. And unfortunately drinking and fireworks go together adding to what was a poor decision. There is always next year and you can plan an early on/late off to avoid the ramp crowds. You will have some more night time experience and hopefully no bad weather. Maybe you and the missus can find a spot on shore to watch tonight. And close to the car just in case the skies open. Enjoy!

After having been on the river last night for my first night-time captaining, I have to agree with GA on this one... While everything went perfectly smooth last night for us, it was a BIG difference in navigation, and we didn't have to deal with many boats at all as the area we was in doesn't see much heavy pleasure/fishing boats. I do have to admit though, once I got comfortable navigating in the dark, it was an awesome feeling and beautiful to see the lights reflecting off the water from all the local businesses and power plant. We're planning on taking ours back out today, but I also plan on being back on the trailer before sunset and all the 'BOATERS' come out to watch the fireworks... if not, I can also just tie my boat up to my brothers dock for the night and we can watch from there.

Vankaye

Seaman Apprentice

I saw somebody else this week make a Pilot-in-command reference. I have to say, being a roto-craft pilot and knowing that I will be responsible for all aboard my ship, I and only I can make the call for go or no-go.
What you say makes a lot of sense for no-go. Remember, it's your call and you need to make the right call every time!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I wanted to go out on Canada Day (just like your July 4th, only for Canadians, war of 1812 and all that) but remembering the crowds at the launch and the drunks I wanted no part of it. And it was a nice day.
There were nealry fights at the launch the next day. Crowds, boats and tempers don't mix.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ill be watching the over-the-water fireworks from shore... lights are lights regardless of the surface I watch them from, and I don't have to deal with the drunks and crazies. Ill be on the water tomorrow though :)

Expidia

Commander

We had a 40% chance of thunderstorms in my region and I was actually glad to see that forecast as it gave me an excuse not to be on the water on the 4th. Probably "the worst" day of the year. Ramps are packed with boaters who have not launched this season yet.
2nd highest fatality day on the highways (BBQ and beers). Traffic all around on the drive home as people are heading home or off to see the fireworks somewhere. Getting boat back on trailer at the ramp at days end is bad too. Lotsa drunks coming off the water looking to start in with anybody.
Yep, a good day to sit on my front porch with a nice cold brewski!
We are going to take the day off on Fri for boating (great weather expected) and that will be our 4th of July boating day :D
4th is a bad "boating" day, but the worst day for holiday "car" traffic around here is Labor Day. Everyone is coming down out of the Adirondacks from their seasonal camps and Summer homes all on the same day! Labor Day is not a bad boating day as many boaters are packing up already to head home early to miss the traffic. We usually do a 3 day weekend and come home the day after Labor Day.
Don't feel bad about missing the 4th as it can be a very irritating experience, especially at the ramps.
Happy 4th!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

We had a 40% chance of thunderstorms in my region and I was actually glad to see that forecast as it gave me an excuse not to be on the water on the 4th. Probably "the worst" day of the year. Ramps are packed with boaters who have not launched this season yet.
2nd highest fatality day on the highways (BBQ and beers). Traffic all around on the drive home as people are heading home or off to see the fireworks somewhere. Getting boat back on trialer at the ramp at days end is bad too. Lotsa drunks coming of the water looking to start in with anybody.Yep, a good day to sit on my front porch with a nice cold brewski!
We are going to take the day off on Fri for boating (great weather expected) and that will be our 4th of July boating day :D
The worst holiday for traffic around here is Labor Day. Not a bad boating day as many are packing up already to head home early to miss the traffic. We usually do a 3 day weekend and come home the day after Labor Day.
Don't feel bad about missing the 4th as it can be a very irritating experience, especially at the ramps.
Happy 4th!

So true. Only on holidays like this can you see how many people believe its safe to be highly intoxicated and on the water. Opertating the boat or not.
Last year I saw this drunk who jumped off a boat and missed the dock. He was dragged out and went to get the truck. We could hear him screaming at two guys who were probably telling him he wasn't safe to drive but drive he did.
Gong show.......

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I've seen the crowd of boats on our river watching fireworks. I honestly don't know how half of them get back on their trailers afterward-drunk or not.

I'll second what everyone else has said. Last year we went out the morning of the 4th to do some wakeboarding and tubing. By the time we got done around noon the crazies were starting to arrive, there's no way I'd want to be part of that mess. When I was flight instructing I used to tell student pilots (when we were discussing weather) that it's a hell of a lot better to be down here wishing we were up there rather than up there wishing we were down here. I think the same can be said for avoiding the known insanity of drunk, inexperienced boaters.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I just gpt back from 5 hours on the water. Lots of boats. No idiots. Although a big barge had to move some channel fishers out the way. It all depends on where you go, and how many non-boaters are out on their boats.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We went to Lake DeGray in Arkansas yesterday with the intention of staying out for the fireworks. As the evening approached I chickened out. We put the boat on the trailer and watched from the shore at the state park. Man am I glad I did. There were probably 500 boats out there. Most of them had there nav lights on even though they were not under power and a few were even weaving through the crowd with dock lights blaring. An unbelievable number had no lights at all. I can't even imagine the chaos at the launch after the 15 minute show. No way it was worth the risk. If I had a houseboat and could anchor for the night maybe but otherwise I'm watching from the shore from now on.

bgc

Ensign

The police and DNR checked every boat at the ramp in Columbus, Ohio, even had a presence on the water. Zero alcohol, everyone was polite, great evening to be out there.

IMG_1248.jpg