How To - Power Steering Flush

TimeZone

Seaman Apprentice
Any suggestions or procedures on doing a power steering flush?

I was bleeding the system and noticed the fluid is dark and since I don't really know the history of this boat...I want to do a complete drain and refill.

I can wing it, but I'm thinking there might be a 'best practice' to make sure I get everything out from the pump, valve and cylinder.

Thanks in advance!
-Ron

2005 Larson, 4.3 Merc, Alpha 1, Gen 2

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How To - Power Steering Flush

Any suggestions or procedures on doing a power steering flush?

I was bleeding the system and noticed the fluid is dark and since I don't really know the history of this boat...I want to do a complete drain and refill.

I can wing it, but I'm thinking there might be a 'best practice' to make sure I get everything out from the pump, valve and cylinder.

Thanks in advance!
-Ron

2005 Larson, 4.3 Merc, Alpha 1, Gen 2

Ayuh,.... When I hada do that,...

I disconnected the return line from the pump tank, 'n pointed it into a catch can...
Then had somebody move the wheel, lock to lock, as I poured fresh oil into the tank, the purged oil flowed into the catch can...

TimeZone

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... When I hada do that,...

I disconnected the return line from the pump tank, 'n pointed it into a catch can...
Then had somebody move the wheel, lock to lock, as I poured fresh oil into the tank, the purged oil flowed into the catch can...

Thanks!
I'll go with that then.

... with a couple of questions.

1) I'm assuming the engine needs to be running?
2) Can the reservoir be run right down before adding new fluid to avoid mixing in with the old?

Edit: I guess I can drain the reservoir first, top it up with fresh fluid and then proceed by flushing out the rest of the system through the return line.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks!
I'll go with that then.

... with a couple of questions.

1) I'm assuming the engine needs to be running?
2) Can the reservoir be run right down before adding new fluid to avoid mixing in with the old?

#1,.. Nope....

#2,... I told ya how I did it, you can do it however ya wish....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the cylinder on the transom plate becomes the pump when the engine isn't running.

For that matter, without the engine running, you can turn the wheel lock to lock until nothing comes out, then fill it up and start turning again and keep turning until the fluid looks like new. Then hook the return line back up and keep turning lock to lock to complete the bleeding before starting the engine.

TimeZone

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys!

I really appreciate the detailed information.

Cheers!
Ron