Fiberglass hull problem

Aashmasterx

Recruit
My first boat is a 1970-1975 vanguard with a 140hp merc. I noticed the floor is weak and im concerned. I have noticed pieces of wood coming from a hole near engine that looks logged with water. Is this a safety issue??? Or just the floor under fiberglass rotting. What are my options at this point. The boat runs great and is great for my family. Any help would be appriciated!!!

Re: Fiberglass hull problem

Hey Aash,

I'm in the same boat (bad pun, I know) as you on this. My recently purchased 20' has a pretty soggy floor as well. In looking around the googlesphere, I've determined I may have some rotten wood on my hands. As long as it hasn't gotten into the boats stringers it's not too huge of a deal but could be a safety issue if someone puts their foot through the floor.

Interested to hear more from the knowledgeable iBoaters.

-Aaron

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello you 2 and welcome to Iboats.

I sugest that you take alot of pictures for us so we can decvide what's going on. Also you perhaps should take a sample of your transom core and even your stringers if you suspect that it can be a water issue with this parts since both the transom and the stringers is major construction parts in a boat.

I found out that my own boat was totaly soaked when I took my first steps in it and felt that the floor flexed. Doing the above samples proved that the problem was far bigger than I firts thought.

Much info about how much of a job it is can be found in my thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=525821&highlight=zymox

Thanks for the welcome zymox!

I've been hesitant on investigating my soft floor as I'm scared what I'll find...but those pointers, including your thread, will be put to use when it gets tackled.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Boats rot from the bottom up. If your deck is soft and you can see soggy wood then...You're in for a lot of work if you want to ensure the boat is safe and sound. Do a LOT of searching and reading on the forum for Deck replacement, stringer replacement, transom replacement. You will find a ton of info on what you will need to do. Like zymox says, Pics help us to help you. A free Photobucket account makes posting pics really easy. Just copy and paste the IMG code into your iBoats posts and that's it.

Aashmasterx

Recruit

Hey thanks for the replys. Iv taken some pictures so i will attempt to add them soon. From what i can see. The hull is full of stiro foam and the floor looks rough. Should i cut a hole in the floor to get a better look???
7f7b7c81.jpg

rickryder

Commander

Open up your deck and check your flotation foam....if it's waterlogged it will have to come out. I will tell you from experience if the foam is wet good chance the stringers,bulkheads and transom may be rotten to....this is a big safety concern.