2.5 OMC power trim not working, need removal help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capeless

Cadet
I have a 86 Cobia 17' with OMC 2.5. Stringer. Here is a couple pictures. One is the serial number plate the other is a picture of the trim setup.

outdrive1.jpgoutdrive2.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this? The solenoids click when I press the buttons. I jumped power from the battery to the green and blue wires and the motor would not budge. No noise or anything. I removed the two screws on the back of the motor. It seems to just spin, I cannot pull it out. I have not tried too much force so I don't damage anything. Any sugestions?

Thanks for any help.

capeless

Cadet
Re: 2.5 OMC with unknown outdrive, power trim not working, need removal help.

Any idea where to get a new motor (or rebuilt) for a decent price? I found some on ebay for like $200.. I was hoping one of the $50 motors would work. :)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like you have a seized worm screw jack thing.
It's supposed to be greased twice a season. It has a grease fitting.

You can just support the front of the motor with wood or old hardcover books from that box in the garage from last years yard sale or whatever and take the mount off to work on it on the bench. I recommend a factory manual. I had one of those all apart a couple of times.... there were a few nylon washers and thrust bearing and such that had to be kept in order.

capeless

Cadet

I was hoping to remove the trim motor without removing the whole assembly. I took out the two screws on the back of the trim motor. I can spin the motor. When I try to pull the motor out it moves but feels like it pulls back a little. I just didn't want to break anything. I can turn the worm screw with a wrench to raise and lower the trim, so I dont think that part is seezed. I actually found the whole complete trim unit on ebay used for $180~ free shipping. I may just do that. Looks easier.

First I am going to check behind the solenoids for a fuse or something easy, if that doesn't work I will remove the whole assembly like you suggested. Thanks!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

oh, ok - when you posted the motor was "spinning", I thought you meant electrically.

If you jumped pwr right to the motor, no sense looking for a blown fuse.
However, if you put power and ground to green and blue, that isn't how it's wired. You need to only jump one wire.
Ground is through the housing of the motor.

jlr551cfd

Recruit
I know this is an older post, but has anyone removed the jackscrew portion from the worm drive portion? My screw sheared right off at the nut! From the pictures it looks like there is a retainer washer and screw at the bottom of the jackscrew (possibly keeping it from screwing all the way out?) I'd like to know before taking the whole thing apart! Thanks!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this is an older post, but has anyone removed the jackscrew portion from the worm drive portion? My screw sheared right off at the nut! From the pictures it looks like there is a retainer washer and screw at the bottom of the jackscrew (possibly keeping it from screwing all the way out?) I'd like to know before taking the whole thing apart! Thanks!!!

Since this is over 3 years old, you should read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.