mercury 305LX carb popping/backfiring

eclipse210s

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Here's my situation. I boat my first boat last week knowing it had some motor problems. The boat had sat for the last two years. I'm familiar with gm motors and figured I'd be able to fix it. Well, so far no luck.

The problem is backfiring through the carb when increasing the throttle. The backfiring only seems to happen under certain conditions.

The motor starts right up both in the driveway and in the water. The motor will throttle up to 4600 rpms with no problems as long as I don't jab it too quickly in the driveway. In the water, increasing the throttle slowly, the backfiring happens regardless of how quick/ slow the throttle is pushed. It happens less if the throttle is pushed fast though. The boat will get to 3000 rpms and stop backfiring. It will cruise fine and tops out about 40mph. Also it idles fine in gear (headway speed up to about 10mph is good too).

The vacuum is steady but low, about 11in. It does have a slight vibration less than a 1/8in swing.
The coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires have all been replaced.
I rebuilt the carb (rochester 4 barrel) and all seems fine. Used new gaskets, new needle valve and seat, new accelerator pump, new carb fuel filter. The inside looked good before as well.
I've checked the timing 8 bdtc as it should be.
All the fluids have been changed too.

I've ordered a new rebuilt carb. It should be here friday. I'm hoping the vacuum will go up after I replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercury 305LX carb popping/backfiring

Hi everyone,

Here's my situation. I boat my first boat last week knowing it had some motor problems. The boat had sat for the last two years. I'm familiar with gm motors and figured I'd be able to fix it. Well, so far no luck.

The problem is backfiring through the carb when increasing the throttle. The backfiring only seems to happen under certain conditions.

The motor starts right up both in the driveway and in the water. The motor will throttle up to 4600 rpms with no problems as long as I don't jab it too quickly in the driveway. In the water, increasing the throttle slowly, the backfiring happens regardless of how quick/ slow the throttle is pushed. It happens less if the throttle is pushed fast though. The boat will get to 3000 rpms and stop backfiring. It will cruise fine and tops out about 40mph. Also it idles fine in gear (headway speed up to about 10mph is good too).

The vacuum is steady but low, about 11in. It does have a slight vibration less than a 1/8in swing.
The coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires have all been replaced.
I rebuilt the carb (rochester 4 barrel) and all seems fine. Used new gaskets, new needle valve and seat, new accelerator pump, new carb fuel filter. The inside looked good before as well.
I've checked the timing 8 bdtc as it should be.
All the fluids have been changed too.

I've ordered a new rebuilt carb. It should be here friday. I'm hoping the vacuum will go up after I replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Odds are, even with the rebuilt carb, it's goin' Lean causin' the backfirin'...

Make sure the tank is givin' up it's fuel, 'n the fuel pump is pumpin' 5 psi to the carb...

Did ya change the fuel filters,..??

Are ya usin' Fresh gas,..??

Try a remote tank, 'n fresh gas...

eclipse210s

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Odds are, even with the rebuilt carb, it's goin' Lean causin' the backfirin'...

Make sure the tank is givin' up it's fuel, 'n the fuel pump is pumpin' 5 psi to the carb...

Did ya change the fuel filters,..??

Are ya usin' Fresh gas,..??

Try a remote tank, 'n fresh gas...

Fuel checks out fine. Bypassed fuel tank and fuel/water seperator with remote tank and fresh fuel. Carb still popping.

Tested fuel pump for pressure... got 5psi while cranking the motor.

The carb fuel filter is new. I changed it when I rebuilt the cab.

Also tested for vac leaks with carb spray. None found. Motor idle didn't change.

eclipse210s

Cadet

any other ideas?

The accel pump is squirting great too. It's popping while the pump is squirting the fuel. So I don't know how lean it could be?

This is all on the muffs.

I figure once I get the popping to stop in the driveway I'll give her a sea trial.

Pete104

Lieutenant

You may have a flat intake tappet. Not an accurate way to find out without pulling the intake but that ain't hard!

eclipse210s

Cadet

Would that be, even though though vac gague is steady and boat runs great at higher speeds?

NHGuy

Captain

Just a guess but does the sensor under the distributor cap look old and corroded? Mine looked like that but the boat ran, after I put on the new one it smoothed out a lot.
Also my motor was popping back through the carb when I had old wires on there. I know you said you did new wires, go back and make sure they aren't crossed.
Here's another possibility, did you get the plugs in past those big fat water jacketed exhaust manifolds without cracking them? To do them you need a skinny, ground down spark plug socket. If you accidentally cracked any of the porcelain insulators during installation you could have an issue like you describe.

Here is the socket shape you want.
attachment.php
(stolen from another post)

eclipse210s

Cadet

I'll check the wires and plugs again, but I think that they are ok. The boat can run fine with good power at 4200 rpm. I'm thinking that would not be the case if I had wires crossed or broken plugs.

eclipse210s

Cadet

well... turns out....you can never take the word of someone else. The guy I bought the boat from replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and fluids to dewinterize it, and sell it. Well, that part about buying it with a few problems, it turns out they were self inflicted. I had to replace the in-carb fuel filter, but I never checked the plug wires...till today:facepalm:. He had #4 and #7 switched. WOW this boat has power:D. 4800 rpms at 52mph. This thing leaps out of the hole! Looks like I bought a good deal afterwards.

Thanks to all those that helped.

On a side note the vacuum only increased to 15in. This was the bare minium in the service manual, but hey, the runs great.