Using a die grinder to square up the clutch dog

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
ok, so I am tired of looking for a reasonable priced clutch dog, (OMC 317667) so I am thinking I might just use a die grinder and square up the edges of the one I already have. Had a guy tell me that this would take away the temper in the metal, and only the surface of the metal was tempered anyway, so once I start grinding he said it would be softer as I got deeper. Is he right? Anyone ever dont this? Besides me?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Using a die grinder to square up the clutch dog

he is right. most of the gears and parts are only case carburized in a batch oven. some may be shot-peaned and polished.

I found a few in the $80 range in 30 seconds doing a google search.

jbjennings

Captain

I wonder why that one couldn't put the dog in an oven or use a propane torch and heat the outside to the correct temp and then quench it in order to give it the correct temp. A machinist can make the gears and dog look brand new. There should be a way to temper it to make it act brand new!! I've seen this topic come up many times----but have seen noone that is an expert at tempering steel check in on it......
JBJ

I wonder why that one couldn't put the dog in an oven or use a propane torch and heat the outside to the correct temp and then quench it in order to give it the correct temp.

Sure it could be done. HOWEVER, you'd need to know what kind of steel you're dealing with as different alloys need different hardening treatments. If you get it wrong the part is either not going to be hard enough and wear out very quickly, or else is going to be brittle and break very easily.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I have done it, and usually you do not need to grind very much off to give you new engagement. They may be only case hardened, which is just about .020" thick, OR a complete heat treat which would be totally hardened. To find out, do your grinding & then try to file the bare new metal. If the new file slips without digging in, it is a heat treated part.

However usually those slider clutch dog units are made so you can flop them around using the what used to be reverse for your new forward & the reverse sides are not used anywhere near as much as the forward sides are.

I have only been a machinist for over 50 years and a back yard boat motor mechanic for half of that.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

well I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who has done this in the past, I didnt feel bad doing it to my own motor, but this is for someone else so I was thinking twice about it. The good news is that I do have some new gears so I will only have to do a little grinding on the clutch and hopefully that will help it grab.