Adding a Tell Tale to a Force 150

brinker232

Seaman
I grew up with all of our outboards having tell tales, tell tails, pissers, etc. I have a Force 150 that does not have one. Any opinions on installing one? a kit? directions? locations to install it? I would just like to be able to look back and know the pump is working properly. Thanks!

brinker232

Seaman
Re: Adding a Tell Tale to a Force 150

Tell Tale hole.jpg Could I use the hole with the flat head slot, plug in it?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You got it. That's where you install a brass fitting for your tell tale. Take a look at the "Sticky:Force & Chrysler FAQ and other great information" first item at the top of this Forum. You'll see a post titled "Can I add a tell tail to a Force". Has more details and various examples of how folks have done it.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

what an awesome thread that was. ill have one of these by sunset tomorrow on my force 50. always wondered why they didnt have a visable one from the drivers seat. it will now.

bouch1

Seaman Apprentice

After reading the thread I put one in last year and works perfect, great piece of mind too...and easy/cheap to do.

catfishcarl99

im a man of my word. 30 seconds of the matco mini torch and it came right out. didnt even need the pliers. my stanley is intact.:D seen a few guys broke theres in the other thread. i used some channel locks on it before to remove lower untit bolts from a 5hp evinrude but not needed this time. going after the hose barb and stuff promptly. this is a great site.

tell tale.jpg
tell tale1.jpg

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got done reading the sticky post about installing a telltale. Great Post! Everytime I take my boat out I have to keep leaning over the transom to make sure the motor is still pumping water. As soon as I finish this I'm going to run home and see if my 1997 9.9 hp has this pipe plug that I can use for the telltale. If so, I'll put one in tomorrow. Thanks for this great post!

catfishcarl99

filling barrel now. post results in a min :)

you guys are awesome.
tell tale5.jpg
tell tale6.jpg
tell tale7.jpg
tell tale8.jpg

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checked my 1997 9.9 hp Force last nite to see if it had the pipe plug needed to install the telltale. It doesn't:( I don't know if I want to drill and tap the head to put one in. I guess I'll just check that water is pumping every so often and call it good. If I fry it I'll just buy a new motor, one with a telltale:rolleyes:

catfishcarl99

she doesnt slice metal but it works great. tested at WOT tonight. very visable and easy to see from drivers seat. what an awesome idea.

wickware

Lieutenant

san damas and others, Could a 90 deg fitting be attached to the 9.9?s rear outlet to send water to the side or up without that being too much restriction?

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess it could. I've thought about this also but I'm not sure how much pressure is coming out of the idle relief. If there is enough, then I think it might work. I hate having to reach back and verify that water is pumping.

wickware

Lieutenant

A side mirror on the transom might work. I would usually had to stand and lean to get a good look before the TT.

catfishcarl99

I guess it could. I've thought about this also but I'm not sure how much pressure is coming out of the idle relief. If there is enough, then I think it might work. I hate having to reach back and verify that water is pumping.

one could try it and see and remove if it doesnt. but on my 50 the head one sometimes comes to a dribble at low idle. not sure if the relief would drive it up or not. but if it was just 90ed it night blow enought to the side to verify.

foodfisher

Captain

Just be careful that you don't spray the tourists when you pivot forward leaving the dock.:redface: