Having trouble with my Evinrude. Please help!!

jerseyboy1983

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1985 Wellcraft with a 150 hp 2 stroke outboard evinrude. A few months ago i started having a problem with it boging down and sometimes stalling when i give it over half throttle in the water. If i back it down fast enough it will recover and run fine again but sometimes it will still stall. But when its at my house and hooked up to the hose it runs great even if i engaged the propellers. I have replaced all the fuel lines, had the carbs clean and rebuilt and replaced the fuel filter. I also drained all the old gas and put in all new gas. Im almost posotive its a fuel issue. Its kind of like its sucking air into the fuel lines and choking it out. Any sugestions on what i can do next?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Having trouble with my Evinrude. Please help!!

There are two (2) high speed jets to each carburetor (6 total). They are located in a horizontal position very near to the center bottom portion of the float chamber. Access to them is via the drain plug on each side of the carburetor float level. Did you inspect and clean them with a piece of single strand steel wire? If not, do so as cleaning solvent really doesn't do a proper job on those jets.

Does the fuel primer bulb have a tendency to go flat when this problem pops up?

Has anyone tinkered with the linkage where the cam with the scribe mark slides against the throttle roller?

The throttle roller should be approximately 3/8" in diameter. Is it? OR is it a later model two piece roller that has a outer clear covering whereas the outer portion has broken off which would reduce the roller to something like 1/8" in diameter?

What is the model number of that engine?

jerseyboy1983

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Having trouble with my Evinrude. Please help!!

First, thank you very much for responding back and helping. And as far as the carbs, my buddy did them and he did soak and clean the jets with a small wire of some sorts so i know the carbs were done right. For the primer bulb question, ive never checked but i will take it out and try it. Does if it does what does that mean? And on the last two questions, i honestly dont know much about boat motors so i cant even begin to tell you. lol But i will pass the questions onto my buddy who is my boat mechanic. The bad part is that he is a certified boat mechanic and cant figure this out so thats why im trying to get outside help. The only thing i know from what seen yesterday when i was messing with it is im getting what sounds like a vacume leak around the VRO mump as well as some drops of gad on the fuel lines below. I know this because i installed new fuel lines and cleaned it all up and yesterday i saw gas on them like its dripping from the VRO pump. The only thing i did was cap off the oil side because replaced the VRO pump with a used one that was rebuilt and the oil did not get rebuilt so i capped it and im doing premix.