Aq125 timing

singledoubt88

Seaman
I have an aq125b that I am trying to set the timing on. The problem is when I check the current Timing with with my light it reads around what looks like 50* at idle. My manual says it should be around 6. I have an Adjustable gun that allows me to advance and it says I need around 45 * more.

I'm lost as to what direction I need to go in now. Any help would be appreciated!

Nhpatriot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Aq125 timing

Something doesn't sound right. I doubt it would run 45 degrees out. Are you sure your on number one cylinder?

singledoubt88

Seaman

I double checked to make sure I was on the number one cylinder, and I was. In fact all cylinders were about 40-45 degrees out. My light also shows a misfire as in an unsteady blinking. Just changed out the coil before the check. I am waiting for an electronic ignition conversion to arrive in the mail. Any sugestions as to what this problem indicates? Thanks guys!

Nhpatriot

Seaman Apprentice

How do you check or know that other cylinders are 45 degrees out?

singledoubt88

Seaman

With my inductive timing light clamped to each spark plug wire individually the mark on the flywheel is sitting an inch past the 30 degree mark. I have a gun that allows me to adjust spark advance. In order to get the mark to align with the reccomended 6 degrees, I have to advance the gun setting 45 degrees.

Nhpatriot

Seaman Apprentice

But the mark on the harmonic balance is only good for #1 cylinder.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's your RPM at "idle"?

If you have access to a standard timing light without adjustments then you may want to use that to check against the adjustable one you're using now.

singledoubt88

Seaman

The electronic ignition came in and got that put on now I am getting good spark across all cylinders. I set the timing to 10 degrees at idle. It idles very well and gets on plane nicely. All is well until I accelerate past 3/4 throttle. The engine surges like it is starving for gas and bogs down. Some background info,
I have changed the fuel pump done a carb rebuild and added a fuel water separator as well as drained old fuel and replaced it with fresh fuel. Any suggestion on what the surge might be?

Thanks fellas