Newbie looking at a Craigslist outboard, NEED HELP!

wkklein

Cadet
Hello everyone!

New potential boat owner here. I've been wanting to restore my grandfather's old v-hull and I've searching for a good powerplant in my budget.

I came across an ad on my local Craigslist for a late 80's johnson 15 hp tiller.

the guy is asking for $400 for an engine that doesn't run but he assumes it needs carb work. I offered $300 to take as is site unseen today and the guy declined. I would hate to put 400 on something that will need much more than carb work. Before I drive 80 miles to check this thing out I wanted some other opinions and tips on buying a non-running outboard PLEASE!

I appreciate the help in advance and love the site!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Newbie looking at a Craigslist outboard, NEED HELP!

you can find running engines for less on craigslist. I use searchtempest.com to search all craigslist sites within a radius of me. I would pass on this engine and keep looking. always see the engine run, preferably while on a boat. problems dont show up in a barrel.

nwcove

Admiral

looks like a salt water run motor....for all its life. jmo.....but $300 is a more than reasonable offer for a motor that will need ,at least, carb work and water pump. no telling what else unless you make the trip with a comp tester in hand, and the seller will allow you to inspect the gear oil. keep shopping!!

wkklein

Cadet

Thanks Scott and NWcove,

I was going with my gut feeling with this decision and you guys gave me some reassurance. Im not affraid of a restoration project but it would save a good deal of work if I find an outboard that runs. Im looking in 9.9 to 15 hp range, do you have any other suggestion of makes or models I should look for?

neo71665

Recruit

You buy a non running motor that old for more than $50 ill sell ya some ocean front property here on my back 80 in arkansas

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

yea to much for a none running salt water motor, i bought one in running condition 400.00, needed a little work but it ran

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

be patient, most boaters are out on the water.

pretty much, AVOID non-running outboards. could be a simple carb issue, could be a boat anchor

northface

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not an expert on this. But here's what I would do before buying any motor. Find an auto parts store that will lend out a compression gauge. Autozone will do it. You have to buy it up front, then you keep it as long as you want and when you return it you get a full refund. Then when you go to look at the motor:
1) Check compression.
2) Look closely at wires to see if they are dry rotted.
3) Check for spark.
4) Determine if it's lived in salt water. If yes, it will be hell to work on.

Even if the carb(s) need rebuild I would assume it should at least start. But if you feel it's a good deal and you have good compression and spark, make a low offer and see how they respond.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Things you want on craigslist are always there when you don't want them and never there when you do. Just be patient and wait for one that runs. $400 for a small non-running motor is a bit of a gamble..

wkklein

Cadet

I sure have noticed that...

AEROCOOK

$900 for a 1984 seems steep... Really steep.
I just looked at a 1995 9.9 Rude in nice shape for $600 OBO.

nwcove

Admiral

unless its in mint condition.....its about $300 steep. just for an example.....9.9s/15s in my area go for cheaper than 6's/7.5's/8's, just because the smaller motors are lighter to handle. i have a 1980 7.5 that has less than 20hrs on it....has never been touched by a wrench. id be lucky to get $400 for it.

wkklein

Cadet

Guy from last cl ad agreed to $400 this weekend, but I have yet to see it.

Also, it is setup of for cable steering, how hard would it be to convert back to tiller?

AEROCOOK

It should be easy to convert back to tiller if you have all the parts.

wkklein

Cadet

Well I scored the Evinrude!! 2 hr drive, $400 I feel was a really good deal. Here she is...

Photo441.jpg

Now on the hunt for a tiller steer, thanks for all the input!

nwcove

Admiral

looks like its been taken care of! good price also.

wkklein

Cadet

Hey guys, same motor, different question. Im finally setup to run this engine at home with water flush and fuel line. I went to run some fresh fuel through it yesterday when after 5 or 6 seconds went by and the tell tale still wasn't sqwirting water. I killed the engine and pulled the gearcase to inspect the water impellor. It was dry rotted and missing one "blade".

Photo517.jpg

From there I observed that there was alot of what looks like river silt in all the jackets of the housing. My guess this outboard was rarely flushed if ever. My question is, what is the best way to clean all of this out? Should I use some sort of chemical such as CLR? I figured a dremel with an extension would get some of it. Any suggestions??

Photo518.jpg

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

With all the oil in the exhaust, the insides of these 2-strokes are pretty sticky, and
it's common to see a fair amount of stuff stuck inside the exhaust housing and
lower unit. I don't see what your pictures show as being a problem. Replace the
water pump and see if it starts and "pees". If it does, then let it run for a while
and check the head surfaces and top of the block don't get too hot to touch
comfortable (say, 4-5 seconds without fingers getting too hot). If they don't
I think your good to go.

Check out "Leeroy's Ramblings" for all kinds of information on these engines:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/#12_OB

Start with article #31- "General Info and Normal Repairs"...