Whale Tails

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Whale Tails

I think it depends on the type of boat and how it's used, here's my experience... I have a 16 foot aluminum bowrider (800lbs according to the brochure) with a 1988 110 hp Johnson. I was using one of these devices on the motor last year but decided I would try removing this season to see if it would make much difference and the difference was quite noticeable. With it removed the boat would porpoise unless trimmed all the way in and it took quite a bit longer to get on plane. I also noticed that the steering wheel pulled to the right and it didnt with the fin on. I have since reinstalled it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Pros: Personally I can't think of any. Some will rave how much faster the boat planes and it planes at lower speeds. it does so by putting enormous extra stain on the transom bracket or, in the case of I/Os the gimbal bracket. Trim tabs on the boat would do a better job and would allow a more efficient trim setting of the engine/outdrive.

Cons: As mentioned before extra strain on brackets, extra strain to the anti-ventilation plate, extra drag. On some installations they have created stabiliy issues. If these were really the wonder devices they are advertised to be, at least one of the engine manufacturers would have built it into their products

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced my Whale Tail with Smart Tabs and love it. That baby jumps right up, and the top end is better.

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I first got my Lowe FM165,it would porpoise so bad that I couldn't get on plane. I guess the weight of the 75 hp 4 stroke(386 lbs)had a lot to do with it. A friend sugested a whale tail. i installed a SE Sport 300 and it planes at about 10 mph with no porpoising. It handles great now.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

First question is what kinda boat? And what are you trying to acheive? All depends on your motor/outdrive height anyway. Yes anything you drag through the water under your keel is gonna cause resistance & "strain". These things only work when the cav plate is even with or above the keel. Raise your motor!

Personally I've found no 'cons' to my Bobs True tracker. Boat is faster to plane, midrange porpoising is reduced, top end more stable. On a dare I took it off and discovered my top end was indeed .01 mph faster ... But the boat was virtually uncontrollable.

re Smart Tabs. Yeah. Considering all that's been said I'd like to try a pair sometime. Hell there's already a bunch of holes in my transom anyway ...

foodfisher

Captain

No pro's. If the engine is running properly there're no reason for one. I'm proof. Whale tail came with a sick engine. After barraging these guys with ?'s and getting a manual, I now have a whale tail for sale. No Takers here. Also, if one could produce better engine performance or boat ride, wouldn't the manufacturers provide one?

V153

Lieutenant Commander

wouldn't the manufacturers provide one?
Yes, and if God had intended for man to fly he would've given him wings. (Christ why do I waste my breath ...) My results are based on measurable improvements in hole shot, mid-range accelleration, and top end. Not speculation.

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a dolphin tail on my 18ft Thompson del-ray tri-hull with a small block V8.It came on the boat,i took it off and had problems getting on plane.My steering is really stiff while using it.I ordered smart tabs last friday,waiting for them to get here,when it was removed my steering felt better,so i can say i felt the pressure difference on the out drive.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Interesting back and forth discussion. No one hit on the really important point. Whale Tails are ugly and really detract from the appearance of a boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's the weekly foil, fin, whaletail thread, and again, as always, there are the same misconceptions of what they do how they are supposed to be used.

They are not designed for the same purpose, nor are they used in the same way as tabs (at least when used correctly), so throw those comparisons out the window.

The only thing a foil will do for you is allow you raise the motor higher than without it and help keep the prop from ventilating...that's it.
This may not be possible or helpful on every boat because there are so many different combinations of hull designs, props, motors, HP, how the boat is used, etc. It is also an issue on an I/O because you can't do any of the needed adjustments (raising the outdrive), so if you use one you need to live any of the negative side affects.

The foil should not be dragging in the water at speed, this is where the bolt it on and head for the water crowd makes their first mistake, they do this and find there are odd side affects of having something this large dragging off the lower unit.

Tabs and foils do have some overlap in the final results, but not for the reasons most people assume. Tabs are an adjustable hull extension, that?s it, and are what most people need and want. They also have very few negative affects even if they aren?t needed, but they do help in almost every situation. They work by pushing down on the water.

A foil works by allowing you to raise the motor and not having the prop ventilate, not by dragging in the water and forcing the bow down like tabs do. At low speeds a foil sort of does the same thing, but this is a side affect, not the goal.

If a motor is raised to the best height for performance at top speed it is very often too high for a good hole shot. As you start to take off and give it full throttle (doesn?t need to be full) the prop may be too close to the surface and suck air. The AV plate that is built into the lower unit may not be large enough to prevent the air from being sucked into the low pressure zone in front of the prop in every situation. So increasing the size of the stock AV plate may help?this is all a foil is?an extension of the stock AV plate that is designed into every lower unit.

I also dislike the term foil, because the foil shape is of no value in how it works, it was sort of a marketing gimmick to sell the item, which further confused the issue of how they work and how to use it.

Raising the motor can increase your top speed by reducing the drag on the lower unit, this may also increase your MPG.

There is less bow rise when getting on plane because as you raise the motor it has less leverage on the hull, same with porpoising. There is also less air being sucked in so the prop gets a much better bite.

Sometimes the boat becomes more stable at speed with the prop higher.

It may also allow you to use a different prop for even better performance.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting back and forth discussion. No one hit on the really important point. Whale Tails are ugly and really detract from the appearance of a boat.
Is that so ... Hmm. Well you can call it ugly if'n ya want, but I think it's kinda cute ... In addition to measurably improving performance. In my particular case that is.

I'm not trying to sell you on one cuz as has been stated they don't work in all applications. Always cracks me up when I see a sailboat with a DoelFin on it's 9.9 kicker. Like you say, not for everybody.

I reiterate: With the True Tracker I enjoy quicker hole-shot, faster mid-range acceleration, and more predictable/stable top end. Really does curb chine walk somewhat but doesn't eliminate it by any means.

To each their own.

Attachments

• TrueTracker1.jpg
    TrueTracker1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, A girl once called my friend's Ford Pinto "Cute". He got rid of it immediately....Same thoughts on the whale tail....

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well said ondarvr!

I have a foil on my pontoon to help keep it from ventalating, and it works for the turbulent water thrown off the pontoons. It is an improvement in both rough water and turns. I don't have any on my other boat and use trim tabs. I have found on most boats that I do not need them once I have set up the motor properly. On a few they can help.