Pick the right pitch

76larson

Recruit
I have a 1984 citation with a 470 mercruiser. The prop is kind of chipped and last time out it was lagging. I did have a few people on the boat and the WOT was around 3000rpms. Can anyone help me on the right prop to select or is my trim need to be checked? I know it's a small engine but the WOT is what concerns me. Please help. Thanks.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pick the right pitch

I have a 1984 citation with a 470 mercruiser. The prop is kind of chipped and last time out it was lagging. I did have a few people on the boat and the WOT was around 3000rpms. Can anyone help me on the right prop to select or is my trim need to be checked? I know it's a small engine but the WOT is what concerns me. Please help. Thanks.

First off ,, was the prop chipped when the time before this last time, and was it running ok then ? Your RPM's were up and all ?
If so then i would think a tune up would help . Chipped prom change may not be cause.
If you were satisfied with the preformance before,, I would change or repair back to original . I would also think about your weight limit on the boat being adversly perportional to preformance of the motor !
IMHO ..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We need a lot more info. please read "read this first" at the top of the prop forum.
get us as much info as possible.

BonairII

Commander

I'm def not an I/O guy, but 3k @WOT seems pretty low.