Impeller is older but still spitting water out of the "tell tale" like its new

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Impeller is older but still spitting water out of the "tell tale" like its new

I have a "93 johnson gt 200. I really don't know when the last time the water pump was changed because i just bought the boat. I don't want to take the risk of blowing the motor so I want to change the impeller, but the one that is in there now still spits like it's brand new... so what do I do? the motor runs like a champ and I have a big weekend of boating coming up and have never replaced an impeller. Could I be doing damage to the motor even though the tell tale is spitting water perfectly? Aslo does anyone have any idea of how long it would take a new with some mechanical ability to replace one of these. I have found a lot of information on here about impellers but very little that is motor specific... any help would be appriciated.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Impeller is older but still spitting water out of the "tell tale" like its new

Re: Impeller is older but still spitting water out of the "tell tale" like its new

How lucky do you feel? It would really suck to break down on a big weekend.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ha Ha yea I have to ask myself one question... do i feel lucky punk do i have six flanges left on my impeller or only one?

but it is spitting water just fine. does that mean that it is working without a doubt? the motor doesn't ever over heat or anything but i don't want it to get to that point.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha Ha yea I have to ask myself one question... do i feel lucky punk do i have six flanges left on my impeller or only one?

but it is spitting water just fine. does that mean that it is working without a doubt? the motor doesn't ever over heat or anything but i don't want it to get to that point.
an hour max to change the impeller even for a newbie then you will have the piece of mind for your weekend

robert graham

Admiral

Go and enjoy your "big weekend", change impeller when you get back....The impeller can last for years, BUT you just want to replace it Before it fails!....You'll be fine!;)

Expidia

Commander

I' d let it go myself till after the holiday. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I got stuck trying to get a clip off that holds the linkage to the foot the time I tried it myself. For the $100 I now pay to an authorized merc mechanic every few years its worth it to me.

Maybe different models are easier to get at that clip but for mine it was buried pretty deep to get at it. Although the last time I tried it I was renting a house and I was doing it while the boat was parked in the street in front of my house.and the sun was shining in my eyes so I couldn't get a fix on that clip to release it. If I tried it just before a holiday I know I'd probably snap a bolt off and then the fun really starts :D

I even have the Merc repair manual yet I could not get at that release clip. I'm sure Johnsons are a lot simpler to change the impeller.