Really tough question

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 35 hp Johnson and after installing a lowerunit off another motor it has neutral the same but forward is reverse and reverse is forward it will accelerate to full speed in reverse when the selector is put in forward and when the selector is put in reverse it goes forward at a moderate trolling speed and I just can't seem to figure this out

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Really tough question

Buy a double ender problem solved! "-) was the donor engine a different year? was the linkage able to bolt as it was before? (no mods etc? I have heard of this happening on some of the bigger motors but never on one this small.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got no idea what a double ender is and yes the lower bolted on the same with no mods although it was off a 30 hp engine it's the same on the 28 the 30 and the 35 so I should not have a problem yet I do

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You shouldn't have a problem. If the lower unit bolted up, it should work. As far as I know, the units with the shift in the water intake area all have the same shift pattern. Down should be reverse, up should be forward...

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You shouldn't have a problem. If the lower unit bolted up, it should work. As far as I know, the units with the shift in the water intake area all have the same shift pattern. Down should be reverse, up should be forward...

I know that I even asked a Johnson mechanic and he told me it can't do what's happening

Also grub1grub2 I checked the prop shaft and it dident say cr or counter rotating besides I did not think a 30 hp would be of any use as a counter rotating anyway

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Is it an electric shift model?

No its an 85 So I could not have connected the wires backwards

So much for my first guess and CR with a non CR prop was my next guess. I've never even seen a CR motor so I may really be stepping in it when I ask - Just for grins have you run her on the muffs and checked which way it spins vs. the prop?

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So much for my first guess and CR with a non CR prop was my next guess. I've never even seen a CR motor so I may really be stepping in it when I ask - Just for grins have you run her on the muffs and checked which way it spins vs. the prop?

No I have not like I stated I don't believe they made a cr this small and why would it not be stamped on the propshaft

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Couple more questions...

Has the powerhead ever been off? I'm not certain, but I believe it is possible to inadvertently swap the coupling that attaches the shift handle shaft to the vertical shaft 180-degrees opposite, which would reverse the shift pattern at the handle.

Also, to put the CR debate to rest - they did NOT make a counter-rotating version of this motor. Prop should turn clockwise in forward gear. That holds true for pretty much all standard Johnrude full gearshift models from the mid-1950s on up.

Haffiman

Commander

If the vertical shift rod is going DOWN when shifting into forward (drop the lower 1/2" and check), the only way what you describe is possible is if the engine itself runs backwards!! That may happen if you switch both plug leads and/or your ignition is totally out.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Couple more questions...

Has the powerhead ever been off? I'm not certain, but I believe it is possible to inadvertently swap the coupling that attaches the shift handle shaft to the vertical shaft 180-degrees opposite, which would reverse the shift

I was asked this and no as the lower gears blew while running it and I just put on a different lower haffiman I'll check what you say

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright haffiman I checked and it goes down in reverse Is that wrong

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Aside from what Chinewalker said about the upper shift lever being reversed, the only thing it could be is that the shifter cradle in the gearcase was assembled backwards. I'm not even sure that it's possible to do that, but if you look at it in a parts diagram, you see that the cradle (lever and shifter assembly) pivots on a pin, and moves the clutch dog forward or backward, and if installed backwards, would cause what is being described here. Take a look.http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/44909.cfm

Haffiman

Commander

Alright haffiman I checked and it goes down in reverse Is that wrong

I'm beginning to believe that you disconnected the shift rod by removing the power head and separated at the upper shaft?
(Might have had difficulties in splitting at the connector due to broken screws?)
When putting back together, the vertical rod must be in front of the shift handle shaft and not behind as it probably is now and was suggested earlier.
Remove the power head and turn the link around between the shift shaft and vertical rod which will give a 'push down' of the rod going into forward.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm beginning to believe that you disconnected the shift rod by removing the power head and separated at the upper shaft?
(Might have had difficulties in splitting at the connector due to broken screws?) .

No it ran just fine prior to changing the lower unit and I just removed the four bolts the nut and four screws holding the cover on the two bolts that I needed to loosen to disconnect the shift shaft and as I stated I HAVEN'T taken the powerhead off at any time for any reason I think your right that's what I had thought about initially but when i asked a omc mechanic he told that's what could be wrong but only if I took off the power head wich I didn't Is there any way for this to happen without removing anything but the lowerunit

Haffiman

Commander

In one way or the other, the shaft has 'turned'????
Perhaps you may be able to 'turn' it back by lowering the lower unit and turn it by the shift handle?? But then again your shift lever will point down??? (180 degrees turn).
Beats me how it happened, but it seems that it what has happened!!

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I would go with the reversed shifter fork,as has been said I'm not even sure it's possible without bending the shift rod noticeably,but I think it's where i would look first. Keep us updated on this one,I'm intrigued.
Geoffwga1

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I would love to hear the outcome of this. Nothing like a good head-scratcher!