Ignition Fuse keeps blowing out

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1993 Maxum 1700Sr with a quick silver shifter. Inboard 3.0L mercruiser with alpha one leg. Had it for two years and havent had any issues. Took it out yesterday for the first time this year. We were tubing for a couple hours and then i put the boat in neutral then I noticed the engine stalled. Went to start the boat but I was not getting no power in the iginition or my dash gauges. Looked at my fuse and the one fuse was blown. I replaced it and we were good to go. Went tubing for another 4 hours putting it in and out of neautral. Turning the boat on and off and fuse was ok. just before I was bout to dock the boat the fuse blew out again. I am really puzzled on what this could be. All the connections under the dash looks good. I not sure why it would do it when I put it neutral both times. I dont think theres electrical components in the trottle besides the buttons to lift and drop the out drive but thats on a seperate circuit.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Ignition Fuse keeps blowing out

Sort of sounds like a bad connection.

Bondo

Staff member

I not sure why it would do it when I put it neutral both times. I dont think theres electrical components in the trottle besides the buttons to lift and drop the out drive but thats on a seperate circuit.

Ayuh,... The shift switch interrupts the ignition, in the motor box....

That's where I'd start lookin'.... wires rubbin' on cables...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you done any repairs or installations of anything since it worked last?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Check all connections front to back for continuity (while wiggling) lube with dialectric greese and re-tighten but somethin is shorting out as the guys said check around all moving parts and make sure any and all loose wires are shored up and fastened out of harms way as much as possible. These little gremlins can be hard to find at times. Good luck and post back!

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Have you done any repairs or installations of anything since it worked last?"

Yes, I have installed a second amp for my stereo but when the fuse blew out the stereo was still working so that is on a seperate circuit

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I checked in my engine bay and the only loose wire I could find is this purple one thats hooks up to what looks like a switch of some sort. I think as you push the throttle up it activates this switch. The purple wire is soldier solid on the metal part but the metal part is loose like as it it broke off inside. Not sure that this switch is called or what it does.

Attachments

• SDC15147.jpg
    SDC15147.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 6
  • SDC15146.jpg
    SDC15146.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 6

nola mike

Vice Admiral

That's your shift interrupt switch--temporarily stalls engine as you come out of gear. Not familiar with your ignition, but it appears that that purple wire is on your ignition circuit, so I'd think that would be a likely culprit if it were to ground out. (On the breaker systems, the coil is grounded when the switch is tripped. Looks like on the EST that tripping the switch sends power to the distibutor...)