Mercury 90 HP outboard Power trim failure

Macwabana

Recruit
I have a 1980 Mercury powertrim that will not work up or down. You can hear a click... but nothing happens- the battery is fine.

At minimal would like to use the boat until late august then deal with repair/replacement. How do I release the motor so that it can be used- but will need to lock it in the down position during operation?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 90 HP outboard Power trim failure

Mac, I assume you have the PTT motor/reservoir unit in the boat/ There is a knurled knob under the control valve where the hoses are attached. Turn that knob all the way CW to allow manual tilt. It will not hold against any significant reverse thrust, but you will be able to tilt it up and down, if you are stong enough.

Thr PTT motor is a three wire one. +12VDC to Blue and ground to black tilts the motor up. +12VDC to green and ground to black tilts the motor down. Sounds like checking the black wire for a good clean ground is first step. Then jumper +12VDC to blue and see if motor runs.

Macwabana

Recruit
Re: Mercury 90 HP outboard Power trim failure

Mac, I assume you have the PTT motor/reservoir unit in the boat/ There is a knurled knob under the control valve where the hoses are attached. Turn that knob all the way CW to allow manual tilt. It will not hold against any significant reverse thrust, but you will be able to tilt it up and down, if you are stong enough.

Thr PTT motor is a three wire one. +12VDC to Blue and ground to black tilts the motor up. +12VDC to green and ground to black tilts the motor down. Sounds like checking the black wire for a good clean ground is first step. Then jumper +12VDC to blue and see if motor runs.

Thanks I will give it a shot....