CMC Tilt & Trim question/concern about steering

leadpencil2

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I am considering purchasing installing a CMC PT-130 to gain power tilt & trim. All the research I have done leads me to believe that everything is pretty straight forward. However there is not a lot in info that I can find regarding steering consideration given that the engine would now be mounting 6? further back.

In all of my research I also noticed that I believe my engine (1975 Evinrude 115) has a ?tilt tube? which left me asking if I should also consider reconfiguring my steering linkage to incorporate the tilt tube.

Questions:
1. If the steering linkage is left the way it is, would adding the CMC unit be an issue considering the engine would be 6? further back and the cable would be operating at an angle vs. parallel to the transom?

2. If the steering linkage were changed to incorporate the tilt tube (assuming a longer cable would need to be purchased) would the addition of the CMC unit cause to much of an angle for the cable not to bind? I?m leaning toward this option if for nothing more than to clean up the transom area. If I were to ultimately go this route would it be possible just to purchase the cable or get a complete kit?

Just looking for more opinions. Please see the photos of my existing setup.

Thanks
Leadpencil2

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: CMC Tilt & Trim question/concern about steering

It won't work with the current set up.

A new longer cable should work fine. It will loop over the transom with ease.
You may have to manhandle the cable a bit to get it installed.
Thats what I did when I installed jackplates on 2 boats.

You can buy just a cable, or the cable and helm unit as a kit.

leadpencil2

Seaman Apprentice
Re: CMC Tilt & Trim question/concern about steering

Thanks for the confirm, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Any suggestions on where to get just the cable, I would assume that means identifying my current brand of steering set up.