Need help with fuel issue badly with 454 Merceuiser carb engine

atunter316

Recruit
I just bought a 1991 Rinker with a 7.4 Magnum and the carb is not getting any fuel. I pulled the fuel filter and replaced it. Then I removed it and after turning the motor over for a few min and choking it no gas was even in the filter when I removed it again. I am thinking it might be a fuel pump so we removed it and I am about to order a new pump but I wanted to go through my checklist and see if anyone had any other ideas of what might cause this besides the fuel pump? Any input would help.

Thanks,
MIke

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help with fuel issue badly with 454 Merceuiser carb engine

Did you check to make sure there are no obstructions in the fuel supply line ? Is it flowing good ?

Bondo

Staff member

I just bought a 1991 Rinker with a 7.4 Magnum and the carb is not getting any fuel. I pulled the fuel filter and replaced it. Then I removed it and after turning the motor over for a few min and choking it no gas was even in the filter when I removed it again. I am thinking it might be a fuel pump so we removed it and I am about to order a new pump but I wanted to go through my checklist and see if anyone had any other ideas of what might cause this besides the fuel pump? Any input would help.

Thanks,
MIke

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Is there any fuel in the tank,..??

Is the tank willin' to give up it's fuel to the pump,..??

Try a remote tank, before ya replace the pump...

tpenfield

Staff member

There is typically a check valve in the fuel line fitting that leads from the fuel tank. If that valve (ball) is stuck, then no fuel will flow.

atunter316

Recruit

Thanks for the fast responses. I have been reading threads on here about the ball on the anti-siphon valve and the screen in the fuel line. I am going to check both of those right when I get home today. I added 10 gallons with seafoam so it does have gas in the tank. Does anyone know what the easiest way to get to the fuel line and valve on the tank?

Thanks

mbrasch

Cadet

Thanks for the fast responses. I have been reading threads on here about the ball on the anti-siphon valve and the screen in the fuel line. I am going to check both of those right when I get home today. I added 10 gallons with seafoam so it does have gas in the tank. Does anyone know what the easiest way to get to the fuel line and valve on the tank?

Thanks

On my boat, I have a plastic round cover underneith the back seat on the floor that I can lift up and get to all the goodies on the tank.

atunter316

Recruit

Ok I pulled the hose and siphon valve out. It is very hard to pull air through so it might be clogged. Are these something you can soak in parts cleaner to free up or replace? Is there any auto parts store that anyone knows would have these? Thanks

atunter316

Recruit

Still no luck. I replaced the valve with a manual fuel shut off and all the lines are free and clear but still no fuel in the fuel filter or carb. Any ideas??? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Still no luck. I replaced the valve with a manual fuel shut off and all the lines are free and clear but still no fuel in the fuel filter or carb. Any ideas??? Thanks

Ayuh,.... If there's gas in the tank, 'n the line is clear, 'n the filter ain't cruddy, 'n there ain't no vacuum leaks,...the fuel pump, Will pump fuel to the carb...

So,... I guess I'd suspect the Fuel Pump...

tpenfield

Staff member

Check the fuel line . . . may have a pinhole or something. You could replace the line just to be sure. In the past, I have temporarily used a clear plastic tubing as the fuel line, so I could see what was going on inside the line. Once you have things figured out, make sure you have SAE approved lines, etc

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice