1989 350cid 4 bbl not revving up past 3200rpm

1989 350 cid s/n oc 606793
recently had engine out due to starter ringer problems.
engine back in, runs good up until 3/4 throttle then falls right of and stalls if held there.
can bring boat on plane using trim tabs up to 3200 rpm but can't go past 3200 rpm.
Brought to shop/mechanic- dumped raw fuel into carb at 3200 and above and engine ran fine. He said I need a new carb or rebuild the one I have.
I have installed (while engine was out) new fuel pump, new water fuel separators (twice), new steel line net wen pump and filter, inspected and cleaned carb inline fuel filter, timing is 8 BTC at idle. Engine runs 170 F . Engine starts and runs smooth as silk up to 3200 rpm then wants to stall when pushed past the 3200 rpm point.
I have read your fuel testing thread, is the fuel tank vent the ones and the same on the fuel line for filling tank?
Thanks

Re: 1989 350cid 4 bbl not revving up past 3200rpm

One other note on my concern is: the engine ran awesome until I pulled it out. I got the "shop" to re-align the engine and commission on initial start up after being out. Mechanic is saying that the engine is starving for fuel. Fuel lines from tank to pump have not ben changed or damaged... Thx

Bondo

Staff member

is the fuel tank vent the ones and the same on the fuel line for filling tank?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya, that's the line We're talkin' 'bout....

I doubt that's the issue though,....

I'd sooner think it's the carb's Hi-speed circuit...

Is the carb high speed circuit something that easily fixable or easily adjustable or is it a rebuild carb time? I have looked at the "Seloc" manual but can't seem to see the high speed circuit, but will look further.