super seahorse RXL-11A

Hello,
I'm new to outboards but know my way around engines. I brought home my fathers 1960 areocraft boat and 2 motors. the 28 hp motor has spark at the top cylinder but no spark at the lower one. not sure where to start. the motor ran about 4 years ago.
I also hace a 5.5 hp cd-18 s. that runs but is not pumping out water
thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: super seahorse RXL-11A

That 28HP motor should be a big twin with two independent ign systems, similar to a 70s lawnmotor. First see if the spark plug leads are shorted to the flywheel. Are the points clean and gapped properly? if so, maybe the condenser or coil went bad. Look for cracks in the coils. Condensers are just replaced. Look for point wires shorting to ground.

I'm down to the flywheel. I see I need a puller to bolt to the 1/4-20 bolt holes. Is that it to get to the ignition goods?
thanks for the help

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Get grade 8 bolts

May be as simple as dressing the points, cleaning and re gapping.

Regarding the CD, drop the gearcase and inspect the impeller.

lindy46

Captain

If you have no spark on the bottom cylinder, try disconnecting the wires from the center of the cut-out switch and see what happens. Could be a faulty switch. The cut-out switch kills the lower cylinder during a runaway situation when operating properly. I've seen them stick and cause your problem.

On the 5.5hp, unfortunately you have to remove the powerhead to drop the lower unit on those motors. The shift rod linkage sits underneath and must be disconnected in order to drop the lower. Pretty easy to remove the powerhead - it is held on by 7 bolts. Just remove the bolts, disconnect the fuel hose to the carb and disconnect the throttle linkage, and she should come right off.

got the flywheel off, outsied of the coils are pretty bad with cracks. what are the chances I can swap out the coils from the 5.5 cd-18 motor? where is the cutoff wires you mentioned? this has electric start so there is no kill switch at the front of the motor

lindy46

Captain

Well, it's undoubtedly the coils if they are cracked. If the 5.5hp coils are good, you can use them. While in there, clean up the points with emery paper and spray them off with some carb cleaner. Set them to .020" when at their maximum opening, at the high point on the cam. Make sure to torque that flywheel nut back to 100ft.lbs. or you'll shear the key. The cut-out switch is on the port side of the motor - a little square box should have two wires going to the center post and a ground wire off a side bolt.

Thanks everyone. Great help. I unhooked the wires to the cut off and I was getting spark. needless to say I do need to replace toe coils but this is a great start.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would just get new coils for the 28 and fix the CD. Both motors can be revived at a decent cost. A pair of coils can be obtained at your local marine dealer or Napa, for under $60. Replace the leads at the same time and your motor should run for years. The CD can be fixed for as little as $25 and run you for several more years too. Have a heart. Don't tear them apart.:D:D

I hear you, want to get both running good. I have to mount the 28 back on the boat and put some power to it and see what happens. the cd -18 is a great fishing motor. I will get the goods and enjoy the rest of the summer.
thanks agian

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice looking boat! I collect info on AeroCraft boats at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/

The earliest catalog I've seen with a "lapstraked" boat is 1962 (but I've never seen a 1960 or 1961 catalog).
If the boat is a 14 footer, I'm guessing it could be a "QL", (58" beam), or a "TL" (63" beam).
The Q was rated for 30hp, the TL for 40.

Is there a serial number on it? That should start with the model.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wow, that old 28 looks great! It will definately be worth the expense of a newly refurbished ignition system. I would recemend fixin up the CD too. I'm a big fan of the CD's and own 3 of them. :D

lindy46

Captain

Those coils look original - time to replace them. I'd replace everything as long as the flywheel is off.