Please suggest a replacement prop for my pontoon. Need suggestions ASAP Please. Thanx

autoimage

Recruit
I have a 24' pontoon with a recently transplanted 1978 Mercury outboard. It's a 700 series 70 hp motor with a 3 blade 12 pitch prop on it now. The boat does 18mph with an average load. My current WOT rpm is only 3500. I assume that is way low and hard on the motor. What I am looking for is to get the motor in it's optimal RPM range... I assume that will help with gas mileage and not be so hard on the motor. Also If I could pick up a few more mph that'd be great! We typically use it for cruising with a friends but if I could get better performance we may pull a tube or skier if possible.

autoimage

Recruit
Re: Please suggest a replacement prop for my pontoon. Need suggestions ASAP Please. T

On another site I have been told possibly a 3 blade 12.5x8 prop or a 4 blade 11.5x8. What do you think? I don't want to lose top end if I can help it. I assume getting the motor running closer to recommended rpm will make up for lower pitch and may even gain top speed?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Please suggest a replacement prop for my pontoon. Need suggestions ASAP Please. T

On another site I have been told possibly a 3 blade 12.5x8 prop or a 4 blade 11.5x8. What do you think? I don't want to lose top end if I can help it. I assume getting the motor running closer to recommended rpm will make up for lower pitch and may even gain top speed?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That's how it's supposed to work,...

'n it Does, if the motor is puttin' out the horsepower it's supposed to be puttin' out...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is this a 3 cylinder or 6 cylinder?They have different gear ratios. if it's the 6 a 8" seems reasonable.
It's better to be undersized while you evaluate the out come with the new prop.
If it a 3 cylinder it may take more pitch.