1974 chrysler 35hp no compression in top cylinder

hi i just got this boat setup given to me just doing a tune up on the engine before i try and fire it and was doing a compression check and there is no compression in the top cylinder. i havnt messed with outboards much but would this be a read valve problem if so hard are they to replace and if any tips the bottom cylinder has good compression. and where would i find a impeller for this its a model 357HE thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 chrysler 35hp no compression in top cylinder

No, it is not a reed problem. Before you try to buy any other parts, pull the head and look at the damage to the piston and cylinder wall. Then, see if an oversized piston is available from an aftermarket supplier. It probably will be difficult to find and the repair cost will be more than the engine is worth. So, this is a case where you may want to keep the engine for parts.

would there be anything else to look at if the cylinder looks good

ok got it figured out the compression ring on the head gasket was blowen out

ok here was the head gasket i found cylinders look really good so head will go out to get surfaced but i need help finding the gasket for the head cover from what i found its called the cylinder head cover gasket its the second pic
chrysler35hpheadgasket.jpg

chrysler35hphead.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They don't make a gasket for the part you have in your hand.
Use sillycone.
There used to be a gasket nut they found it was easier to just use the sealer.

Is that the exhaust gasket I ordered a head gasket from www.seawaymarine.com I believe and he told me it was a exhaust gasket I was lookin for but I went to remove the thermostat housing and a screw broke off so now gotta get that fixed and new head bolts the previous owner never used anti seize and they corroded but that's a easy fix

ok im getting the head back together had to order new head bolts heads getting surfaced seaway sent me the wrong gasket they sent me a exhaust gasket so i pulled it and cleaned it all up gunna pull the lower unit and replace the water pump impeller piece but is there a decoder for the model number by chance