im new, please help. johnson QD-15

guy9023

Recruit
old aluminum boat with 1954 johnson QD-15.....please help

a friend has given me an old aluminum fishing boat with a johnson seahorse 10 and i have no clue as to where i should find any info on motor or boat. registration for the boat is gonna be difficult because there is only a 7 digit hull id number (B260364) and i cannot find any info off the bow id number ( NY 9319 BK ).

the motor was well taken care of and has been sitting for 10 years in storage, it will start but looking for a good place for information on care, maintenance, and operation of this motor. im not sure i understand this pressurized fuel tank and was wondering if you can upgrade to a modern tank with this motor. plus gear oil types you can use in the lower unit that are easily available and fuel oil mixture for this motor, any info from anybody will be a huge help and greatly appreciated:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: im new, please help. johnson QD-15

The NY authorities can tell who is the last registered owner. Whether or not they'll tell you is another question. Whomever it is has to sign off on it. Or at least that's the way it is supposed to work

You can get a copy of the original owner's manual from www.outboardbooks.com They also have service and parts books.

Don't fall for the malarkey about the pressure tanks. They are fine if in good condition, and are rebuildable. Yes, if you insist, you can convert it to a modern tank with a fuel pump.

Fuel mixture is 24:1. Use TC-W3 oil and regular unleaded. Gear oil is 80-90 weight outboard gear oil, available most everywhere, including here at iboats. Many commonly needed parts are also available here at iboats.

Don't think you are going out and pull the rope and go fishing. That motor will need complete servicing and a new water pump impeller. If the ignition coils are originals, they almost certainly are bad.

guy9023

Recruit
Re: im new, please help. johnson QD-15

thanks a ton for the info, we used to have a imperial 220xl so boating isnt new to me but outboard motors sure are, hopefully by the weekend i should be able to fire this motor up and test run it in a barrel and see how it does. thanks again for the advice:)