3.0 glastron was going 40 mph and stalled now will not go over 10 mph

lhadsorb

Recruit
HI im new to this site i have a 2002 glastron 3.0 volvo penta was going 40 mph and stalled now will not go over 10 mph can only get 2000 rpm at WOT idles fine under no load put muffs on it in the driveway rpms go up but get it in water under load only goes 10 mph i have changed the oil and filter spark plugs cap and rotor and put seafoam in fuel going on vacation next sunday need to fix it an test before i go i would think if the prop hub is bad the rpms would be max at WOT any suggestions? carb? i'm mechanically inclined but new to the boat repairs any help or suggestions i would really appreciate thanks Lars

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.0 glastron was going 40 mph and stalled now will not go over 10 mph

HI im new to this site i have a 2002 glastron 3.0 volvo penta was going 40 mph and stalled now will not go over 10 mph can only get 2000 rpm at WOT idles fine under no load put muffs on it in the driveway rpms go up but get it in water under load only goes 10 mph i have changed the oil and filter spark plugs cap and rotor and put seafoam in fuel going on vacation next sunday need to fix it an test before i go i would think if the prop hub is bad the rpms would be max at WOT any suggestions? carb? i'm mechanically inclined but new to the boat repairs any help or suggestions i would really appreciate thanks Lars

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I don't see Fuel Filters mentioned....

lhadsorb

Recruit

i looked and dont see one anywhere from the fuel pump to the carb
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I don't see Fuel Filters mentioned....

Bondo

Staff member

i looked and dont see one anywhere from the fuel pump to the carb

Ayuh,... It's usually 'tween the tank, 'n the pump.... or Inside the fuel pump, which I believe is where yer's is...

Ya might wanta Add a canister type filter 'tween the tank, 'n pump,....

fishrdan

Admiral

The filter will be on the bottom side of the fuel pump (as long as someone didn't swap out the fuel pump with an automotive pump). There will also be a filter inside the carb's fuel inlet fitting.

I would add a water separating fuel filter between the tank and pump and Bond-o suggested.

Pump some fuel out and then put it into a glass jar, to see if water or other junk settles out of the fuel.

XJpete87

Cadet

I just had this identical problem with newly purchased boat that had been sitting for about a year. The fuel filter was completely filled with water.. Changed it out and now no problems. Hope your's is as easy to fix.

redneck_cdn

Cadet

Have you checked the cylinder compression? Easy to check, worst case you will have a baseline for future comparison. I have a 96 Four Winns with a 3.0GS/SX drive and the head gasket went between #2-3 cylinders and acted similar.

Alex

lhadsorb

Recruit

Have you checked the cylinder compression? Easy to check, worst case you will have a baseline for future comparison. I have a 96 Four Winns with a 3.0GS/SX drive and the head gasket went between #2-3 cylinders and acted similar.

Alex

:) thanks same thing you had blown head gasket!