1976 85 Evinrude hp lost ignition

strange82

Cadet
Hi all.
So my motor was giving me some intermittent ignition problems. I'd be motoring along happy as a clam, and then it seemed one jug would drop out, I just thought I was having a fuel issue ( can not venting, or air in the lines ) when it was just one jug, then it came back on line within a few seconds. I finished the rest of that outing with no problem. The next weekend out it started happening again, much the same as described before at this point I headed back to the ramp. The problem got worse over the time frame of about 30/45 minutes, to the point of it running very roughly on it seemed to be one cylinder, limping back to the ramp, then I lost the last of my spark. Fortunately I was close to the ramp.
I'm wondering what would slowly fail that way.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1976 85 Evinrude hp lost ignition

You probably have a coil going bad and the symptoms show up when the coil gets warm. Could also be a powerpack issue, but you'll need a DVA adapter to test that.

Do you know which cylinder is giving you problems(dropping out)? If not, you'll need to bring a timing light on the water with you. When the motor "acts up", hook up the timing light to each cylinder and find out which one isn't firing.