Gm hei

dpatzari

Seaman Apprentice
Has any one put an HEI in an 86 Merc 170. If so do you have a PN#

please and thank-you

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gm hei

Has any one put an HEI in an 86 Merc 170.

If you are asking for help putting an automotive distributor on your engine...you won't get any here.
If that's not the case, then I'm sure someone will come along with a favorable solution.

We need more details to give better advice.

dpatzari

Seaman Apprentice

have not really been a fan of points since like 1974 (and yes , i still have my dwell meter from HS). looked at pertronix conversion. but asked myself this question... I buy the module conversion.. etc and put it in an old distributor and what do I have ? .. an old distibutor with a pertronix module. a new HEI with a similar advance curve would be the BEST solution automotive or not.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

have not really been a fan of points since like 1974 (and yes , i still have my dwell meter from HS). looked at pertronix conversion. but asked myself this question... I buy the module conversion.. etc and put it in an old distributor and what do I have ? .. an old distibutor with a pertronix module. a new HEI with a similar advance curve would be the BEST solution automotive or not.

The marine grade distributor is for safety so an automotive unit would not be the BEST solution in my opinion. There are marine units that are the equivalant of an GM HEI, they cost more though. You might check michiganmotorz for ignition replacement kits.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

looked at pertronix conversion. but asked myself this question... I buy the module conversion.. etc and put it in an old distributor and what do I have ? .. an old distibutor with a pertronix module. a new HEI with a similar advance curve would be the BEST solution automotive or not.

When I did mine I also had my distributor rebuilt, new bushings and springs to match the Delco curve. So like new distributor and no points. Works just fine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

have not really been a fan of points since like 1974 (and yes , i still have my dwell meter from HS).

Great system, being working well with very little change since the dawn of time... But I agree with you, they are old hat now and break-less if a far better system.

dpatzari said:
looked at pertronix conversion. but asked myself this question...

Probably the best choice out there...

dpatzari said:
I buy the module conversion.. etc and put it in an old distributor and what do I have ? .. an old distibutor with a pertronix module.

How perceptive of you....

dpatzari said:
a new HEI with a similar advance curve would be the BEST solution automotive or not.

Err, NOT!!!

There is far more to a 'Marine' distributor than the label that says 'MARINE'... Different advance curve, only mechanical advance, and here's the biggy.... spark-proof... Those little gauze 'plugs' you see aren't there for decoration... Neither is the seal around the cap and the gauzed vent in the cap....

Put an automotive dissy in and you WILL be sitting on a floating bomb... and I'm not sensationalizing it... I've seen the aftermath of a boat going up... Not pretty, but the guys on board got lucky... They survived, but are wheel-chair bound for the rest of their lives!!!

Chris.......