Deck questions, and possibility of doing a bench in a 97 Maxum 1750NB

supspt454

Cadet
I have a 97 Maxum 1750NB 3.0LX Merc I/O. It's a good boat. Though not the fastest on the lake (Eufaula and Keystone Okla), it is one of the most fuel efficient. I can run all weekend on way less then a half a tank of fuel. Anyway, it had a couple soft spots in the deck. I cut out the soft plywood to the nearest joint, and patched it back in with a measured 1/2" good quality (several laminated layers) plywood. The foam underneath was dry and firm. I painted the exposed foam with an exterior grade latex paint to hopefully prevent it from taking on water.

I also removed the factory fiberglassed in seat bases with the intention of going ahead and adding another layer to the deck, captains chairs, and the possibility of doing away with the engine cover and building an enclosed rear bench engine cover. I guess my question is, will the revamped seating add too much weight, should I double deck and glass the floor, or just reglass the patched floor, and should I put carpet back in or use some type of coating? Thanks for any input

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deck questions, and possibility of doing a bench in a 97 Maxum 1750NB

Welcome to iBoats from a fellow OKIE!!!
Patching over a deck is never a good Idea. Did you core sample the foam. It's usually never wet on top. Boats rot from the bottom up. You need to see if the foam is wet next to the hull. Do you have a bilge pump? Is it running ever? Have you checked the walls of the ski locker? How bout the motor mounts and the engine compartment area? She's 15 yrs old and prolly could use a thorough inspection to make sure everything is fine below deck.

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Deck questions, and possibility of doing a bench in a 97 Maxum 1750NB

I agree with Wood , you would need to check the foam at the bottom.
When you get the point that your ready to cover the deck, gel coat rather than carpet might be an option, carpet holds moister , even boat carpet, just a thought, if you gel coat you might wanna put some texture in the coat as it is smooth and could get slick when wet.
Do an in depth check of the foam, it will be worth it in the long run.