sea strainer

fsmd2

Cadet
I have a 1989 34' Wellcraft St Tropez and my question is concerning the sea strainers. I understand what they do but my question is how does the raw water get to the raw water pump. I took the tops off the strainers and I see where the raw water comes from the sea cocks, but I don't see any opening from the strainer to the raw water pump. There are hoses and fittings connected to the strainer going to the raw water pump, but on the inside of the strainer, under the cap there is no opening to the raw water pump. I'm confused can anyone help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: sea strainer

you could not remove the tops without
A shutting off the seacocks
B flooding the bilge
If your boat in operating normally ,then your getting water and must be looking at it wrong.

fsmd2

Cadet

you could not remove the tops without
A shutting off the seacocks
B flooding the bilge
If your boat in operating normally ,then your getting water and must be looking at it wrong.

Thanks but the boat is out of the water, however when it was in the water, I did remove the caps to the strainers and water did come in to the bilge, so I can assume there is a water source for the raw water pumps. However both impellars on both raw water pumps were disintegrated, I have since put new raw water pumps but skepticle to start motors. I just don't see any way for the pumps to get water. These strainers came with the boat when it was new so i assume they had to work. It doesn't make sence though that there is no outlet for raw water from the strainer to the pumps. Any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member

It doesn't make sence though that there is no outlet for raw water from the strainer to the pumps.

Ayuh,.... We can't see what yer seein',... But there HAS to be a connection from the strainers, to the pumps...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of your strainer, there are so many different types, there is no way for anyone to know what you have.

Suction from the raw water pump is what draws water from the through hull pickup, through the strainer and into the pump.

salty87

Commander

alot depends on the type. i've looked at mine before. it wasn't the most obvious setup. intake water dumps into the strainer basket. the outflow side on mine is molded into the cap. instead of a single outlet point there are multiple smaller openings. my guess is to facilitate flow.