1987 Maxum stringers

birdmanmanman

Recruit
Hi,i started doing work on the stringers in my boat and was wondering a few things.First what kind of wood should i use?I was thinking douglas fir but the original stringers in the boat were 0.75x4.5 pieces but i can only find 2x6's(really measures 1.5"x5.5".Would using actual 1.5" rather than 0.75" be bad if they fit?Also i was thinking of using epoxy resin,what should i use for fiberglass tape and how much? Thank you

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Maxum stringers

Welcome to iBoats!
I'd recommend using Ext. Grade Plywood for your stringers. I'd also recommend using Polyester Resin, CSM Mat and 1708 biaxial cloth. Check the first link in my signature below for drawings and details on how to fabricate and install.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

birdmanmanman

Recruit

Thank you for the response.The boat originally came with solid wood stringers,would plywood still be good?Also what size plywood should i use and technique to join pieces together to make it 10ft. or more?Oh and will polyester resin be good to join the stringers to the transom? Sorry im new to fiberglassing this much.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You would use either 3/4" plywood and "Sister" the joints. or use two pieces of 1/2" plywood and overlap the joints. Your boat is made from poly resin so it will be fine to use it.