help elgen question

schuder

Seaman Apprentice
A friend of mine picked up an very old elgin motor we need to know where the motor ID is located so we know the year and hp i belive it is a 2 hp 1948-54 or so a sticker on it looks like 3/4 pint to 1 gallon but is it 2 stroke air cool or strait 30 wait. but i know i need the model# to know for sure it is direct drive.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: help elgen question

You're questions are fragmented but I'll try to answer some of your concerns. If it's an aircooled you want to use 2 cycle oil for air cooled motors and not the regular TCW outboard oil. Straight 30 weight went out years ago; you need to use the TCW oil if it's a water cooled motor. A picture would help. Either way I would run it with a ratio of 24 to 1 or less. If it's an air cooled the head will probably have 'fins' and you need to make sure all the cowling is in place to direct the flow of air over the head. If it's water cooled there should be a small (1/2 inch) hole beneath the head on the lower unit and this should be putting out water. Since I'm not sure what you have this is the best I can do for info. As for the ID look at the handle area or any stampings on the motor. Good luck!