PWC or PowerBoat for the caribbean

DiRETRIX

Recruit
Hi all

Im a new user in here, (BTW great site) im planning to buy either two PWC (97 Yamaha venture 1100 or 19-20' I/O boat) (no outboard)

Im in Puerto Rico so always going to be in sea, the hull most be hard due to the waves in here.

We are a Family of 3 so either i need two PWC or a cudycabin ( here in the island it cost the same either option )

Im going to use a 2000 4x4 Montero v6

I have experience with PWC but im raw at boating... Any advise when selecting the boat?

Thnkx

DiRETRIX

Recruit
Re: PWC or PowerBoat for the caribbean

Well... Just family trips to some spots in the island... So far the boat option its kind of wining for the overnight cabin

But there some spots that it can only be reach by pwc

superbenk

Commander

I doubt you'll overnight in a cuddy that's only 19-20'. Everything I read says they're hot & end up being just a storage closet. I'd re-evaluate what you really want from that boat.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I doubt you'll overnight in a cuddy that's only 19-20'. Everything I read says they're hot & end up being just a storage closet. I'd re-evaluate what you really want from that boat.

A family of three in a cuddy is a no-go, unless two of them are dwarfs, or you don't mind sleeping on top of each other. A cuddy in the Caribbean will be hot, no doubt about it... Whether its tolerable or not will depend on the person and the particular ventilation attributes of the boat.

I've spent two nights aboard my new boat (a 19 1/2 foot cuddy) already, but this is Northern NY, and the temperature ain't exactly tropical.

DiRETRIX

Recruit

beside the heat and the space mosquitos are my other concern...

it needs to be a cudy with camper aft option.

im looking into the Welcraft eclipse 23, signature 25 or bayliner Cierra 2355

and the Bayliner seems to be more spacious but its that hull strong enough for the Caribbean waters?

THNKX ALL

(i have two weeks reading up and down the forum, its great!!!)

superbenk

Commander

im looking into the Welcraft eclipse 23, signature 25 or bayliner Cierra 2355

and the Bayliner seems to be more spacious but its that hull strong enough for the Caribbean waters?

Personally, I've been thinking a long time about something in that size. For me the Bayliner 2452 has always been attractive. I love the big windows & tall cabin. Seems like a very spacious boat for the size. Especially the ones with a hard top and camper cover.

DiRETRIX

Recruit

im going to review the 2452 and compare to the 2355

the things im concern its the waves here in the island and the cudy space.

lets see

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You cannot compare a pair of PWC's to a 24' cabin boat. The activities are completely different. But IMO a PWC is a toy with very limited uses--that costs as much as a boat with 100's of uses.

You have also moved from a 19' cuddy to a 25' cabin. They are worlds apart, too. And it might put your tow vehicle into play.

Listen to the advice: you cannot overnight 3 people in a cuddy. Now you want to shut it all down tight to keep out mosquitos. Bad plan. Set up a tent on the beach. Get an open boat with a T top to get there.

You are in a boating haven. Look around and ask around locally.

I'm afraid to ask your budget....

DiRETRIX

Recruit

You cannot compare a pair of PWC's to a 24' cabin boat. The activities are completely different. But IMO a PWC is a toy with very limited uses--that costs as much as a boat with 100's of uses.

true!

You have also moved from a 19' cuddy to a 25' cabin. They are worlds apart, too. And it might put your tow vehicle into play.

I have a Mitsubishi Montero V6 with a towing capacity of 3500Lbs, but most of the ramp here in the island are not in good conditions

Listen to the advice: you cannot overnight 3 people in a cuddy. Now you want to shut it all down tight to keep out mosquitos. Bad plan. Set up a tent on the beach. Get an open boat with a T top to get there.

I use to do that in my older pwc(96 yamaha wave venture 1100) but i was thinking of a boat better... the option of the tent on the beach its something you may do in some areas but there is no way in others so u may need to stay onboard

You are in a boating haven. Look around and ask around locally.

Yup, this weekend we are driving WEST to explore some ramps and see hows doing there ;)

I'm afraid to ask your budget....

i have a budget of $12k... but if i need more $ will sell my bike and there another 5-6K so im around 18k-20k for this invesment

emoney

Commander

The thing about a 19-20 cuddy cabin is it's really not big enough for a normal stature man to sleep in. Wife and small
child might be ok in there, but even they will have no room to stand to change clothes, etc. I understand that boats aren't
as readily available (at least in the same price point) there as they are here, so you might want to start just shopping
based on your budget and see what's available. I remember talking to a guy last year in Puerto Rico and he was very
limited in what was available. Still, don't try and make one boat serve multiple purposes that aren't being met right
now anyway. Find a boat that you like, that fits the family, and that you can enjoy for years to come and then start
thinking about "overnighting", etc. Truth is, most boats that aren't Cabin Cruisers are not comfortable to spend 1 night
on because of things like "showers", "bathroom uses", etc. etc. A nice tent can be had for a few hundred dollars and
usually fits perfectly on the deck of any boat. Why not an outboard, by the way? Being a Salt Water Boater myself,
(Florida) I've found that outboards are much easier to maintain with all the saltwater effects that take place.

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Direct i live in PR and have a Monterey 262 in Salinas also family of 3 and I would NEVER change my boat for.a.PWC. If your.going to be at the north east waves are a pain for a cabin cruiser on the south is.much smother.

Just my newbie. 02? good luck

Just my. 02?

superbenk

Commander

A tow vehicle with a rating of 3500 lbs is about 4500-5500 lbs shy of what you want to tow a 24-26' boat with :p

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The thing about a 19-20 cuddy cabin is it's really not big enough for a normal stature man to sleep in.

I beg to differ, but then again maybe you're referring to what is considered "normal stature" in the Western world now... ie, fat. The average height of an American male is 5' 10 1/2" (I had to google this), making me at 5'10" just about exactly average... Dont hold that 1/2 inch against me, my wife doesnt..

I took delivery of my 19' 6" cuddy less then 2 months ago and I've logged 3 overnights in it so far, with no discomfort at all. Yes, I was alone and that made it comfortable. And yes, you are correct that you will not be sitting up in a cuddy of this size. And, if you scroll up I agree that a small cuddy is not the boat for the OP. But, lets not make fact out of opinion.