Minn Kota 75lb thrust foot controlled Not working High Pitched whine???

kodiaks

Cadet
I have recently went out on the lake and tried to use my trolling motor and when i turn it on and press the thrust button it turns slow for about 5 seconds then stops entirely and i hear a high pitched whine almost like a dog whistle coming from it?? One thing is that this motor runs off of 2 12v batteries hooked up in parellel and i know the batteries are charged because they have both been tested. I need some advise on what the issue could be and how i may be able to fix it because i cannot for the life of me find anyone that fixes these things anywhere around me. and similar experiences or advise would be greatly appreciated??

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota 75lb thrust foot controlled Not working High Pitched whine???

First thing I would do is take the prop off and check for fishline wrapped around the shaft. Or,can you easily turn the prop by hand?

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I hope you mean the batteries are hooked in series, not parallel.

kodiaks

Cadet

so i just took the prop off and found there to be no fishing line or anything blocking it i did however fine that the pin that goes into the prop was a little bent and the plastic grooves on the prop where the pin fits did break. However, this is a problem but as i looked further in the shaft still will not turn with the prop off and the whining does not seem to be there anymore just no movement to the shaft? any other steps i could do to check it ?

kodiaks

Cadet

NYBo what do you mean in series not in parellel? what is the correct way to have the batteries hooked up? i believe i have it hooked up right but like i said i am new. I have a positive from the motor going to a positive on one battery, a negative from the motor to a negative on the other battery and a jumper between batteries on the other end positive to negative?? Correct ?

NYBo

Admiral

You have the batteries connected correctly in series for your 24 volt motor.

A frozen shaft usually means water intrusion into the motor. You are going to have to open it up to see if it can be salvaged.

kodiaks

Cadet

anything in particular i should be looking for inside to know if it is fried?

NYBo

Admiral

I'm guessing there will be a lot of rust if water got in.

kodiaks

Cadet

found the problem, in the head of the trolling motor at the top found the negative wire to be getting hot and causing resistance due to some corrosion and such cut damaged section out soldered together and works perfectly now. Thanks alot for the help guys