i need some direction lol...

tjtboater

Cadet
Ok here is what I got , I bought a 18 foot wellcraft with a bad motor , so I took my evinrude xp 150 off my 21 ft sabre and installed on the wellcraft and have been having hell ever sense ... Ok so i mounted the outboard on the transom , I also did a new water impeller kit , and took the carbs off and rebuilt them and cleaned them out really good , I had to keep pulling them off because they kept leaking when I tried to prime the system ... So it took me 3 times of taking apart and adjusting the floats to get them to stop leaking while running and when i primed the fuel system , I also had to change the bowl on the middle because the old plastic one was warped a little , so i still have two with plastic bowls and one with the metal style bowl. I also changed every fuel line possible from the tank to the motor and off the fuel rail . The only one that I did not change was the prefab 90 degree hose but it looked really good inside . Ok I put everything back together and clean it up and head to the boat ramp , as I start it , she fired right up so i took the cowl off and I see fuel seeping again , so i shut her down and took back to the house and removed carbs again and adjusted 1 more time , as i put all back together and head back to lake I drop her in the water and crank little hard to start because the carbs were dry , but finally cranked up , I noticed a lot a very very lot of smoke never seen her smoke like that before , but no fuel leaks out of carbs , so i head out on the lake just putting around for about 15 mins , I shut the motor off and let it sit for a bit when i shut the motor off I seen a little steam coming out of the pee hole , that.concerned me I touched the heads and it wasn't extreamly hot but a little warm didn't take the skin off my hands , I've never noticed steam out of the peeps hole though not that I've payed attention... It was pumping water fine , so I let it sit for a bit just in case , then I cranked her up about 20 mins later and wanted to get into my throttle ... I started out with ease cruzing and then i nailed it and it fell right on its face sputtering and hesitant could not even get it to plane out . I've tried several time to get it to get up and go , tried pumping fuel by the bulb and no change . I'm lost with no direction right now , and the wife is pissed I have all this money in my new project and she still can't go catch a fish yet lol.. please help if you have any thing I can test or check out I refuse to take it to a shop in Houston Texas and get butt raped ... So my issues are
1. Did a motor swap
2. Rebuilt carbs
3. Had a hard time to get the floats right to stop pouring fuel out of carbs.
4. Seen some steam out of per hole after having good water flow and running for about 15 mins at low idle .
5.any thing more than half throttle it falls flat on its face no power ,no response ,choking out, bogging down,sputtering ,shaking no power at all.
And test or checks I can do would be very helpful and keep me out of trouble with the wife lol... Thanks guys !!!
Ps... I mix my fuel also .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: i need some direction lol...

Far too many words too close together, tjt. Please use paragraphs and only tell us what matters.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What procedure did you use to synchronize the carbs after the rebuild(s)?
Are you running the original jet size in the new metal bowl?
I would not worry about the cooling if it is not getting hot and overheating.

jbjennings

Captain

The floats should be level with the top of the float bowl when upside down. There's not much adjusting to do. If they're level with the float bowl upside down and you still have fuel overflowing, then the problem is that you have a tiny piece of grit between your float needle and seat, or your float is not moving smoothly, or the float has a hole in it and is filling with fuel. Try blowing through the fuel line nipple with the float slightly pushing against the float needle. If air comes through, the needle is not seating properly.
As far as the no wide open throttle, either your high speed jets are clogged, you're not getting spark, or your carbs and timing aren't synchronized properly. I would reclean the high speed jets and associated passages, and reinstall the carbs. Put the motor in gear with the engine off and push the throttle all the way forward. Note whether the throttle plates in the carbs fully open or not, and that the timing is full advanced. All throttle plates should reach fully open at the same time, and close at the same time as well. The engine will reach full advance on spark about 3/4 throttle, so don't worry if the plate stops moving before you reach WOT.
I would also check the spark with a spark tester, not by grounding the plugs on the block, to verify that spark jumps at least a 3/8" spark gap. Probably the first thing I'd check.

The steam out the indicator is suspicious. I'd use cheapo harbor freight digital thermometer to see how hot the engine is getting, and that the thermostat is opening and closing properly. I'm thinking about 140-160 degrees is what it should be, never getting above 160 degrees. Sometimes a water tube grommet can get crimped upon reinstallation of the lower unit and cause problems.

I'm no 150hp expert by a long shot, but there are lots of guys here that are, so keep posting some responses and you'll get some good help eventually. I hope you post back what the fix was.
Good luck,,
JBJ

tjtboater

Cadet

Thanks for the replies I'm just now viewing them ... I didn't know I would have to re sync the carbs with no adjustments on the carbs , I did the blow test as i was setting floats and i was setting the floats level to the other edge upside down , I checked to make sure the floats floated so no holes, right now they are not leaking , think I finished that issue . As far as the steps in the rebuild I bought kits and replaced the seat ,needle gaskets blew out every hole and anything I.seen eith a passage way.as far as the metal bowl i didn't know it would have something different in it . I will check out the other stuff and get back on here with some results .

tjtboater

Cadet

Ok I've been busy. Just got done with checking the spark with a 3/8 gap inbetween , its spark was really good it was a thick blue spark ... So i take it It's more fuel related ??? Any more suggestions ill take em

jbjennings

Captain

The floats should be level with the top of the float bowl when upside down. There's not much adjusting to do. If they're level with the float bowl upside down and you still have fuel overflowing, then the problem is that you have a tiny piece of grit between your float needle and seat, or your float is not moving smoothly, or the float has a hole in it and is filling with fuel. Try blowing through the fuel line nipple with the float slightly pushing against the float needle. If air comes through, the needle is not seating properly.
As far as the no wide open throttle, either your high speed jets are clogged, you're not getting spark, or your carbs and timing aren't synchronized properly. I would reclean the high speed jets and associated passages, and reinstall the carbs. Put the motor in gear with the engine off and push the throttle all the way forward. Note whether the throttle plates in the carbs fully open or not, and that the timing is full advanced. All throttle plates should reach fully open at the same time, and close at the same time as well. The engine will reach full advance on spark about 3/4 throttle, so don't worry if the plate stops moving before you reach WOT.
I would also check the spark with a spark tester, not by grounding the plugs on the block, to verify that spark jumps at least a 3/8" spark gap. Probably the first thing I'd check.

The steam out the indicator is suspicious. I'd use cheapo harbor freight digital thermometer to see how hot the engine is getting, and that the thermostat is opening and closing properly. I'm thinking about 140-160 degrees is what it should be, never getting above 160 degrees. Sometimes a water tube grommet can get crimped upon reinstallation of the lower unit and cause problems.

I'm no 150hp expert by a long shot, but there are lots of guys here that are, so keep posting some responses and you'll get some good help eventually. I hope you post back what the fix was.
Good luck,,
JBJ

Did you try the underlined? ALso, did each wire jump a 3/8 gap?

tjtboater

Cadet

Ok just got off work I'm going to go and check all underlined ... Thanks Jb I appreciate the help.

tjtboater

Cadet

Ok I finally got this issue resolved... It ended up being bad fuel in the tank, drained the tank and did some cooling system maintenance pulled heads changed gaskets and the deflectors also both thermostats, put a new fuel/water separator in , I also adjusted the timing and link n sync , now this outboard screams on the water with no issues ... Thanks for all the help