Help on a mercury stator this one driveing me nuts

Ed T

Cadet
Hi Everone. Hope all is staying cool these hot days. Anyway my question. I have a mercury 1990 90hp outboard engine. I am the 2rd owner of the boat and motor. I notice that the stator wires comeing out of the stator are red blue red and white and blue and white and 2 yellow. I looked up the stator and it was replace with one that had these wires which means it can be hooked up to eather a 3 cylinder or a 4 cylinder. Now my engine is a 3cylinder. Which means now it only calls for the yellow wires and the solid blue and red wires. Now I have the red/white and blue/white wires that are for a 4 cylinder engine. Now what do I do with these two wires my wireing does not call for these. Do I not hook them up. Some one had them both hook up together on a ground which I thought they should not be. So do I just leave them Or hook them up some where. O my system is a 9amp Please advice. Ed

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help on a mercury stator this one driveing me nuts

JMO The best choice would be to get the correct stator for the motor that only has the red and blue wires for a 3 cylinder motor. Oldman570

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Some one had them both hook up together on a ground which I thought they should not be.
That is correct for a CDI replacement stator or a OEM as you don't want the extra coil to generate and melt down. Below is the CDI install sheet and about 2 nd paragraph down in bold letters it tells if used on a 3 cyl to hook extra wires to ground....

http://www.cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/174-8778K 1.pdf

Ed T

Cadet

Hi Faztbullet. Thank you for helping me. I have been trying to open that website you have there> I can't get it too open. It keeps shutting down as soon as I open it. If possible can you send me the page eather on here or email it and let me know. I am real intersted in reading it. But like you said I will take those 2 wires and ground them off. My email is et1957_99@yahoo.com Thank you Ed