1992 Evinrude E15RENM 15hp Shifting/stalling problem..Please help!

Jay238

Cadet
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 1992 Evinrude 15HP E15RENM. It has trouble 50% when I shift into drive/forward. The motor will just stall immediately once put into drive. This only happens 50% of the time and does NOT do this in neutral or when shifting into reverse.When it does go into drive (and not stall) it kind of bogs down for 0.5 second. The boat halls *** on the water with this motor but the only issue is when shifting into drive...any ideas? The previous owner said they did a carb rebuild and today, I changed out the plugs, gear oil, gas, gas tank, and hose. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Jay238

Cadet
Re: 1992 Evinrude E15RENM 15hp Shifting/stalling problem..Please help!

Also forgot to mention that the motor ran fine on the water today for 5 hrs..trolls down nice and low, runs very very fast at full throttle, and idles pretty good. Just the damn shifting problem.

Jay238

Cadet

Anyone?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

try tp play with slow speed knob.set up a litle reach or lean.initial seting is turn in to resist and 1.5 turn out and adjust

Rick.

Captain

I think the prop has less force in reverse than forward so it is working harder in forward. I would just richen ( counter clockwise) the slow speed needle 1/8 turn at a time and see if it makes a difference. I think it will. Best of luck. Rick.

Jay238

Cadet

Okay I will try that. Thanks a lot.

Jay238

Cadet

I think the prop has less force in reverse than forward so it is working harder in forward. I would just richen ( counter clockwise) the slow speed needle 1/8 turn at a time and see if it makes a difference. I think it will. Best of luck. Rick.

Are you talking about the knob on the end of the handle or the needle inside the motor?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When Rich said richen the slow speed needle, that means the one on the carburetor. The knob on the end of the tiller handle is just a slow speed adjustment for a trolling reset position. However are you advancing the throttle up to the shift range when you shift into gear, this will help. Another thing to look at is to pull the prop & check for tangled fishing line around the prop shaft which if there is enough, could create extra friction that is hard to overcome from a slow speed, once it is going then you will not notice it.

Jay238

Cadet

When Rich said richen the slow speed needle, that means the one on the carburetor. The knob on the end of the tiller handle is just a slow speed adjustment for a trolling reset position. However are you advancing the throttle up to the shift range when you shift into gear, this will help. Another thing to look at is to pull the prop & check for tangled fishing line around the prop shaft which if there is enough, could create extra friction that is hard to overcome from a slow speed, once it is going then you will not notice it.

Awesome that sounds like the fix! I am advancing the throttle more before I shift into gear to get it going so hopefully this helps. Just took the prop off and there's no sign of fishin line either.