Don't like using Muffs, your thoughts on this idea?

sam60

Captain
DSCF0452.jpgDSCF0451.jpgDSCF0450.jpg

I couldn't find a flushing tee for the 1" I.D. inlet hose to the stat housing and had a bad impeller housing at my disposal so this is what I will try. It's about a 2 minute job to pull the impeller and put this on. I'll leave the muffs on with the valves closed to force the H2O toward the engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Don't like using Muffs, your thoughts on this idea?

Regular muffs should work fine for your engine and drive. No visegrip clamps, no special fitting or anything like that. If you need that, then you have a problem you are trying to work around not fix.
My personal view of the fitting in the housing ----------- :facepalm:

sam60

Captain

Regular muffs should work fine for your engine and drive. No visegrip clamps, no special fitting or anything like that. If you need that, then you have a problem you are trying to work around not fix.

New muffs last year and made them dual inlet as the single inlet didn't seem to supply enough water. They leaked badly and it took a long time (20 seconds) to get water out of the exhaust (reason for the vise grips). Trying to eliminate starting with an impeller installed at home do to past damage. What is problem that I might be having? Runs cool in the lake.

Junior is winning again tonight.

Thanks Don.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you giving it some throttle when you start it, 1000 to 1500 rpm just to get the water flowing? Don't forget the the pump runs at the same rpm as the engine. 15-20 seconds at idle rpm for a big block isn't bad
Even a slight air leak on the pump housing will cause long time to prime.

Junior is winning again tonight.

Not hardly, he's still riding high from the last win.

BonairII

Commander

What is the reason for running your motor on muffs often? Are you flushing saltwater out of your motor?

If running your motor at home often is necessary then buy a feed tank(or similarly large) tub to submerge the lower unit in when running the motor.

sam60

Captain

Are you giving it some throttle when you start it

Nope. Always let it idle and jumped out to check for flow. Had no idea that I should goose it up a bit to get flow.

OK, then who is your pick for this race? Please don't say Kyle Busch..:facepalm:

sam60

Captain

The whole idea of this is why spin an obsolete impeller if you don't need to...?

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your are going to do this, and remove the housing and what not, why not make a backing plate that covers up the inlet from the lower, so your water can only go in instead of out you should be able to have someone with a laser cut you one out of 1/8th acrylic... if you wanted to send me your backing plate, I can make you one

BonairII

Commander

The whole idea of this is why spin an obsolete impeller if you don't need to...?

I'm confused...what is an obsolete impeller?

If you have a bad impeller, just change it. 90% of boat owner's use muffs and have no issues with them.

No need to reinvent the mousetrap here.

sam60

Captain

If your are going to do this, and remove the housing and what not, why not make a backing plate that covers up the inlet from the lower, so your water can only go in instead of out you should be able to have someone with a laser cut you one out of 1/8th acrylic... if you wanted to send me your backing plate, I can make you one

Thanks fellow desert dweller, I appreciate the offer.

Last weekend I was digging around in my steel scrap and was going to make a plate that feeds the supply side only, which I still plan to do, but got sidetracked as all that I had that was wide enough was 3/8". Today I was going to throw this bad impeller housing out and and decided to mess with this idea. I brought home some scrap 10 gauge cold rolled and will make one eventually.

Why spin an obsolete impeller if you don't need to? :D

sam60

Captain

I'm confused...what is an obsolete impeller?

The one's they quit making years ago that fits my boat and you can't find them for less than $125 unless your lucky or real crafty.

sam60

Captain

The one that I'm making now should get dual facepalms....:rolleyes:

BonairII

Commander

The one's they quit making years ago that fits my boat and you can't find them for less than $125 unless your lucky or real crafty.

$125 bucks for an impeller? Yikes!

sam60

Captain

The one that I'm making now should get dual facepalms....:rolleyes:

Here is today's version. This works great! My lower unit is contoured at the inlets and muffs leak bad.

1/4" plate, 1/2" pipe tap and a trip to home depot, problem solved.

I refuse to spin another impeller on muffs. I'll make a gasket for it this week and clean off the RTV. Water was coming out of the exhaust (and exhaust only) within 3 seconds of opening the valve. Can I get a dual facepalm?

DSCF0454.jpgDSCF0455.jpgDSCF0458.jpg

The engine was running in the first 2 pics.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Here is today's version. This works great! My lower unit is contoured at the inlets and muffs leak bad.

1/4" plate, 1/2" pipe tap and a trip to home depot, problem solved.

I refuse to spin another impeller on muffs. I'll make a gasket for it this week and clean off the RTV. Water was coming out of the exhaust (and exhaust only) within 3 seconds of opening the valve. Can I get a dual facepalm?

View attachment 155790View attachment 155791View attachment 155792

The engine was running in the first 2 pics.

I am LIKING this! That's just how I would do it if I was trying to conserve those gold plated impellers!!
Let me also add that I would be making the plate or "cover" that will replace it when I switched to the thru-hull/transom pickup and engine mounted raw water pump that will solve this problem once and for all!!!

(and the VP Duo-Prop) to eventually replace the entire mess!