Water pump question

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. I just bought a new water pump for my pre-alpha with the pre load pin. The pump that I got from MERCSTUFF was #2110. Complete Kit. My question is this. My old water pump had a seal at the very top of the pump that the shaft seals too; right in between the impeller cup and top of the water pump. The pump that I got does not have this seal. Now I have read somewhere here that there is a waterpump that does not a have a certain seal is this the pump or did they just not put the seal in or do I have to order it? Thanks all.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water pump question

The seal you're speaking of doesn't go between the insert and housing. Actually it really isn't a seal. It rests on top of the housing. It keeps sand and silt from wearing things in that area by occupying the space where sand and silt could build-up and damage the parts. The kit should've come with that as most pump kits cover a broad range of pumps and have a surplus of parts included.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There should be a large rubber washer type of seal that slides over the shaft after the impeller housing is put on.I dont think it is called a seal though.

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UH yes that would be the slinger correct? Then is there a seal that goes on top of it. The print that I have looks like there is. Just double checking.

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the part I am wanting to know if it goes on top of the slinger it is number 17 in the print detail. Here is the link to the print. <br /> <br /> http://mercstuff.com/fiched.htm

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

No ,thats not a waterpump seal.It is an o ring that goes onto the groove which is towards the top[ of the drive shaft.Right around where the # 14 is in the diagram.Does your driveshaft have a groove in it??

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I have the grove. We are all good with the water pump. Now I went to match the lower and upper and when I got to move the clutch from forward to neutral to reverse I have it all messesed up. I have to take it back apart and find out what I did wrong there. Man I love learning experiences.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

When you split the drive,make sure the lower half is in forward before you put them back together and make sure the shift arm on the upper is facing straight ahead.A manual will be of great help to you so you will be sure the lower is in fwd.It is best to do this w/o the prop on and make sure you have the tiny crush-o-ring between the oil passage.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Turn the prop shaft ccw & the shift shaft cw & it will be in fwd.....& what Charlie says, too!....JK

DHPMARINE

Captain

Split the drive again and put it in forward.Now just barely touch the prop shaft in a clockwise maner.Now you are back into neutral.Keep presure CCW all the time.<br /><br />DHP

ziggy

Admiral

i don't know if this is good advice or not. that o ring yer talking about, i left out on my model 1 drive. i'm a big one for doing it oem. but some time ago people on this board conviced me that it was not nessassary to have this o ring in place. in part because i understand the alpha1 as not haveing that o ring at the top of the drive shaft(i understand that mod 1 and alpha1's, uppers and lowers are interchangeable). aslo because if you have issue with putting the lower back on that o ring may become dislodged from its proper place and prevent the lower seal in the upper from sealing..... please correct me if i'm wrong or you have issue with this statement. like i said, my o ring is not in place.....<br />cc, i've left my prop on and use a bunge cord to keep it loaded counterclockwise for install. but then again, i've only had it apart 3 times. so i don't have to much experience at it. though i did put it back on the 2nd and 3rd time with in 2-3 trys ea. i don't want to talk about how many trys it took to put it on the first time....... :)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Zig, If you are referring to the small o-ring at the oil passage, (between the cases)you very much need that to be there....Without it water gets in, gearlube gets out.....The drive will not hold pressure with out it....JK

ziggy

Admiral

hm, i'm talking about item 17 that fit's on the driveshaft around where the number 14 is in the link to an r drive above... am not talking about that small oring between the drives(item 5 in above link)....that one, as ya say is critical...darn, cant think of the name of that seal yer talking about though, it escapes me....

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a manual, I jusy find it a little difficult to read at times. Advice here is a lot better then any manula could ever bring. I just like yo make sure that what I am reading is indeed what I need to do. Thanks for all the help thus far.