Compression readings...

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Just did a compression test.
I read 135lbs on 1,2,5,6...140lbs on 3,4.
Done with all plugs out, engine at OpTemp, 4 complete revs each, and WOT...
I know these are within the 10% variance, just wondering what is considered "low", "average", or "new" would be.

No running issues...just for my records.

Thanks in advance

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Compression readings...

I rate those as 'acceptable'.... A lot depends also on your compression gauge... The length of its hose and its calibration...

cr2k

Captain

I always turn it over 6 times just make sure I got it all. But those are good numbers.

tpenfield

Staff member

I always turn mine over 10 times, but often cheat and get 11 times in. I also watch to seem how many compression strokes it takes to achieve the final number (usually 2-3 strokes)

The numbers seem a bit low, but a lot of it depends on the testing conditions and the equipment, etc., as Chris stated. The numbers are really good from a consistency standpoint . . . 4%

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I rate those as 'acceptable'.... A lot depends also on your compression gauge... The length of its hose and its calibration...

I HAD a quality Snap-On gauge, prior to my son moving out(along with a goodly supply of other tools I "donated"!:rolleyes:)...I think it found a new home, so I just ran to the local HFT and picked up a gauge there for occasional use. In my case, not too concerned with absolutely accurate numbers, just to find any glaring discrepencies/trends and radical departures from baseline readings. Hose is approx 10", and I sealed it only finger tight. I'm GUESSING they may be reading a little low considering I used the extension...so I had two rubber o-ring seals in the mix.