Neighbor shredded my boat cover...

fishrdan

Admiral
Looking for some input here...

I come home from vacation and find a 4 foot rip in my 2 year old boat cover :mad:. Our neighbor's kid threw a rock the size of an orange and ripped the cover. Better a cover then a windshield! Speaking to my son's friend, if he hadn't seen what happened, and told the neighbor kid to get his parents, the kid was going to high-tail it out of there and try to get out of his bad deed. (Which doesn't surprise me with all the other carp we have put up with these people.)

I talk to the father and he wants to have it fixed, I say I'm fine with a repair,,, as long as the repair doesn't leak or cause any other problems in the future. Like the cover ripping again in the same spot, forcing me to buy a new cover 6 months down the road. IF, it can't be repaired they will need to replace the cover. (Remember my son's friend, he told them boat covers like the one I have are around $500. :D ) The neighbor kid called around and got estimates to have the cover stitched up anywhere from $25-80 and I told them I would go to an boat upholstery shop I know and have them look at it. The cover fits very snug and I knew they couldn't just stitch it back together and have it still fit the boat, it would need to be patched.

I stop by the upholstery shop and the guy says, let me do something to your cover, but you are probably not going to like it. I tell him do anything you need to, and he proceeds to grab a flap of the torn section and rips the canvas like paper. "Nope, we can't repair this, our machines will shred it".

I give the father the bad news that the cover can't be repaired, and he says his son is going to need to start selling a lot of candy bars. :confused: What? I don't exactly follow you. He proceeds to say he doesn't have a lot of money and I was just another person in line, then glances over at my old tri-hull's cover I put on the V-hull (fits like a potato sack) and says why do you need it replaced right now? WT#*@#%

I told him monsoon season is right around the corner and I need it replaced in a couple weeks. (A comparable replacement is going to be around $300.)

So, what would you do in this situation? I have a feeling this is going to be a long drawn out thing and I'll be lucky to get the $50 they thought it was going cost to stitch the loose flaps together.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Neighbor shredded my boat cover...

Out of curiosity....why would a $300 cover rip so easily? And not be able to be stitched by a sewing machine?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Small claims court filing. Immediately. He may not have the money to satisfy the judgment against him, but he also won't be able to borrow money or do much of anything else to his financial benefit for as long as he owes a court ordered judgment. Often times, that situation forces a person to grease the squeaky wheel sooner than later...meaning of course, you will get paid before the other bill collectors. Good luck!

fishrdan

Admiral

Out of curiosity....why would a $300 cover rip so easily? And not be able to be stitched by a sewing machine?

I thought the same thing until I saw the rock, sharp edge caught the cover, then the wind ripped it up while we were gone.

rock.jpg

This is a heavy canvas (poly) cover, but the desert sun isn't very kind to boat covers and eats them up. I usually have to replace covers every 5 years or so as the stitching rots out. The upholstery guy said they could attempt stitching the fabric for $45, but he wouldn't guarantee the repair, and the repair would be more then $45, with no guarantee... He didn't want to repair it as he knew it wouldn't last.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0

dmn175

Cadet

What the kid did was wrong, and I agree with that, but lets think this through. You said you have to replace the cover every 5 years so how old was this cover. Take the # of years you have owned that cover and multiply by .2 now take that # and multiply by $300 and then subtract $300 from that amount and that # is what he actually owes you after you take depreciation out of the equation. Offer to call it good with that amount being paid, and if the father still tells you to take your place in line then go the small claims route. No attorney, and a trial date within 60 days.

Silly Seville

so how old was this cover.

my 2 year old boat cover

And it's the job of the judge to make that determination of value (doing the math) so going to court is still his only option as the neighbor STILL isn't going to have the money. Seriously, if a person admits they are being chased by bill collectors...do you think he will have $180 when he doesn't have $300?

BonairII

Commander

Not worth the OP's time to take to small claims court. The Op will spend more money/time/aggravation on pursuing a claim than he can ever expect to get back from the neighbor.

If it were me, I'd chew the neighbor's kid out and let him know that you are going to bust something of his every time he ruins something of yours. ;)

I have a similar problem with my son's friend. He's constantly breaking something at my house(on purpose and/or accident).
Just yesterday, I gave all the kids involved an ultimatum(including my son). Told them that I would slap the ever-loving hell out of the next person who broke something at my house. And i meant every word of it!

Told his friend(15yrs old) that he was welcome to tell his father what I said. I also told the friend that the next time he plays one of his jokes(throwing eggs, letting air out of my son's bicycle tires, etc) that I would be stopping by his house to break his bicycle in half!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Can't give you much advice about the cover except to document the loss, which probably means a police report.
It may be of use sometime in the future when the kid gets to breaking and entering, battery, and mayhem.

I'm don't know if this is an option for you, but instead of buying $1000 worth of covers over 10 years, consider an aluminum carport to protect your boat from the sun and rain. With the sun out of the equation, an cheap cover to keep the dust out would sufice.

render.php

Silly Seville

If it were me, I'd chew the neighbor's kid out and let him know that you are going to bust something of his every time he ruins something of yours. ;) Told them that I would slap the ever-loving hell out of the next person who broke something at my house. And i meant every word of it! I also told the friend...I would be stopping by his house to break his bicycle in half!

I realize that this post was made tongue in cheek, but to not encourage someone to try it, let's remember that if you did actually do any of these things, then YOU would owe the neighbor a lot of money when he sued your home owners insurance company for damages after you get out of jail for assaulting his minor children and destruction of property, intimidation, mayhem and a host of other things the assistant DA would drum up to make an example of you. :eek:

Just sayin'! :)

fishrdan

Admiral

Take the # of years you have owned that cover and multiply by .2 now take that # and multiply by $300 and then subtract $300 from that amount and that # is what he actually owes you after you take depreciation out of the equation.

Depreciation, I don't think so, no reason for me to break open my wallet because they trashed my boat cover. If my kid went over and slashed their car tire, do you think they would settle for 50% of what it cost to replace the tire, because the tire was 50% worn...

Can't give you much advice about the cover except to document the loss, which probably means a police report.

Police report, eh... A month back the family that trashed my boat cover called the police because their 14YO son was beaned in the noggin with a rock, by the 8YO across the street. 14YO always picking on the 8YO. When all the dust settled it was found that they were all throwing rocks......

It's really unbelievable that the kids would still be throwing rocks, especially after the police incident. Everyone in the neighborhood (including myself) have been yelling at them for throwing rocks. Most of the neighborhood kids know better than throwing rocks, but not all. I guess some have to learn the hard way.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

:facepalm:Forget all the above.....I'd get into their house one night and rip up the equivalent + $1 value of kids and dad's clothes
If you can find enough to equal $301

Pure satisfaction and then go buy yourself a new cover.;)

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm thinking that the Dad never intended to pay for the damage in the first place, but just wanted to appear concerned and ethical in the moment.

After all, the apple does not fall far from the tree . . . and vise versa.

Maybe the way to go on this is do the police report thing, place a claim with insurance, see if the insurance wants to go after the neighbor (they will probably not)

rlk

Seaman Apprentice

Depreciation, I don't think so, no reason for me to break open my wallet because they trashed my boat cover. If my kid went over and slashed their car tire, do you think they would settle for 50% of what it cost to replace the tire, because the tire was 50% worn...

That is my understanding of how judges, warranty companies, and insurance companies establish value. In your example, if the tire was 99% worn out, do you think they should give you the cost of a new tire? You might hope they would, but they will not.

Bob

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

That is my understanding of how judges, warranty companies, and insurance companies establish value. In your example, if the tire was 99% worn out, do you think they should give you the cost of a new tire? You might hope they would, but they will not.

Bob

Spot on Bob. You are absolutely correct.

salty87

Commander

This is a heavy canvas (poly) cover, but the desert sun isn't very kind to boat covers and eats them up. I usually have to replace covers every 5 years or so as the stitching rots out.

You admit yourself that nearly half of the cover's lifespan is up. In reality, the latter half of those 5 years the cover is barely holding together. Wind could finish it off on its own or a big enough puddle that gets a chance to collect. The sun in TX isn't much kinder.

File the police report. I agree with whomever said it will at least add up when the kid does whatever delinquents will do next. His parents don't give a flip and would rather you do nothing. Depreciation isn't a new concept. Lots of products we deal with everyday get depreciated....batteries, tires, cars. A cover is no different.

It sucks, I think everyone agrees with that. But, I think most recognize that you aren't due a brand spanking new cover. I like the boatport but vandals will be vandals.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If they don't have the money, they simply don't have the money. Go buy yourself a new cover for $300. Deduct the depreciation ($150-$200) and tell the dad that his son owes you roughly $150-$200 for the outstanding cost. If he can't sell enough candy bars (the neighborhood kids do it for extra cash), then have him cut your lawn "X" number of times or pull weeds, wax the boat, etc to work off the debt. A little hard labor never hurt a growing kid and he might learn a little responsibility and accountibility for what he's done. That will sit with him way longer than handing you some cash, which teaches him that he can buy his way out of trouble.

$300 is not worth the time and trouble of the judicial system. IMHO, I would tell his dad you want him to work it off.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree ^^^^^ done. No other solution makes any sens to me if there is truly no cash available.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would of called to police and had a warrant issued for vandalism, and the dad would of some how managed to find the money to have it dropped.

fireman57

Captain

I think that you have a great opportunity to get this apple farther from the tree. Evidently his dad isn't worth messing with or he would get control of his son rather than letting him get by with the deeds that he does. When you see the kid outside call him over and tell him that you want to help him rather than punish him. Tell him that he needs to work off about 150.00 worth of damage and that you will help him do this. Something his dad won't do. Explain to him that the boat needs cleaned, scrubbed, waxed or whatever. Get him the supplies and show him how to do it. Leave him alone for around 15 minutes but keep an eye on him from a distance. Go back and see what all he has gotten done. Once he is around something like a boat he will take an interest in it. Probably even ask if he can go out with you sometime. If you are fixing something and he is around have him come over to "help". He will learn things that his dad can't/won't teach him and you will become the friend not the enemy. We had a neighbor kid like yours and I was outside doing things all the time and I would see him wandering around and told him to come help me. Turns out he was a pretty good kid but he was just bored because he didn't have anything to do. After that he started working on his bicycles and other stuff. When he got a car then he wanted to know how to fix things on it. He was never a problem in the neighborhood after that. It's worth a try and maybe his old man will come around too once he sees a change in the boy. Of course to satisfy his debt you have to determine an hourly figure and hold him to the hours that he will need to complete but I will bet you that you lose track of the hours once he gets into seeing how things work and the satisfaction of somebody telling and showing him that he is worth something.