Sx exhaust

bblst

Cadet
Hello, new to the forum and have gotten great advice on fixing problems with my boat. I recently purchased a 1995 Larson 214 Sei, 5.8fl/SX Outdrive. I was curious about the exhaust exiting the outdrive. When operating the boat at a good click (30 MPH) I have water that is being forced out of the plastic shift mechanism cover and also from the lower unit mounting plate and the lower unit itself. The water is coming out with such force the the entire engine cover is coated with water. This doesn't ap[ear normal. I thought the exhaust exited through the prop? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sx exhaust

I'm having trouble picturing this. Are you watching the outdrive while the boat is going 30mph to observe this?

Hello, new to the forum and have gotten great advice on fixing problems with my boat. I recently purchased a 1995 Larson 214 Sei, 5.8fl/SX Outdrive. I was curious about the exhaust exiting the outdrive. When operating the boat at a good click (30 MPH) I have water that is being forced out of the plastic shift mechanism cover and also from the lower unit mounting plate and the lower unit itself. The water is coming out with such force the the entire engine cover is coated with water. This doesn't ap[ear normal. I thought the exhaust exited through the prop? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James

bblst

Cadet

Actually yes, I am laying on the side of the motor cover with each hand on a grab bar and feet being held by another person. Not the smartest thing but I had to see where this fountain of water was coming from.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post some pictures of your drive, also remove the back cover and take a picture of the drive with the cover off. There shouldn't be anything under that cover that could cause that and not give you an overheat at the same time.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Actually yes, I am laying on the side of the motor cover with each hand on a grab bar and feet being held by another person. Not the smartest thing but I had to see where this fountain of water was coming from.

Is there a "whale tail" or some other type of fin device added to the drive to help aid in getting on plane?

bblst

Cadet

Thanks for the interest in my problem. I think I fix one and found another. I removed the zinc anode at the lower end of the transom shield and found a flapper wedged in the exhaust tube before the bellow. I guess with the restriction the exhaust had nowhere to go but up. I removed the seal or flapper (marked with number 985749) and it seems it has been there a long time. I will proceed to backtrack the exhaust system to find the location of the missing flapper. James

bblst

Cadet

Don, Thanks for the service bulletin. Gonna go check to see if the other has been removed properly and seal per the bulletin. I appreciate all the help with this. I hope I can return the favor! James

bblst

Cadet

A little update...I checked the y pipes and it seems at some point the flappers were removed. I could not feel or see the nuts used on the pivot rod anywhere on the y pipes. As I was only able to recover one flapper and not sure if the other was removed properly, can I reuse the exhaust bellow that connects the manifold to the Y pipes? I want to remove them and check the Y pipes to be sure I do not have any other obstruction in the system. Thanks, James

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you remove the outdrive, you will be able to look through the exhaust bellows and see the bottom of the Y pipe. Not much of chance a piece of one would stick in the pipe anywhere but the opening, if your Y pipe has the divider in it.

bblst

Cadet

Ok great. I assume when you say opening you mean where the Y pipes come together? That is where I found the one that got loose. It was between where the two Y pipes come together and before the opening for the flexible bellow in the lower unit. I guess it was to big to get forced in the flexible bellow. James