Fixing a leak in our pool

Tyme2fish

Commander
We are still in the process of attempting to open our pool. We've added the appropriate chemicals and are attempting to clean the dirty bottom left over when we closed it dirty last year. Note to self, whether pool or something else, always clean a dirty bottom as soon as possible.

This morning I went to the pool pump to check the pressure as I knew all sorts of debris and particles were flowing into the filter. All was well for the pressure check.

That's when I noticed a stream of water pouring out of the metal sidewall. The stream appeared to have the force and flow of a large rat urinating. The metal sidewall is only to hold the pool liner in place so I knew there was a hole in the liner somewhere.

Mrs.Tyme and I had to go the doctor to get our pre check up blood tests done. We leave the pool, still leaking, (the pool, not us) and finish our appointments for the day.

Upon our return home, I assembled all the necessary equipment I need for pool patching. 1.Goggles 2.Snorkel 3.Patching material 4. Glue

The goggles: These are for younger children that frequent our pool. They were not designed nor do they fit my large head. (My head measuring somewhere between a basketball and a large medicine ball). I lengthen the strap on the goggles and somehow manage to get it to somewhat fit over my eyes.

The snorkel: This is also a child's snorkel on which I performed redneck engineering on in that I took a piece of garden hose and duct tape in order to lengthen the snorkel hose length to enable me to remain on the pool bottom.

I had used a length of slat type wood to measure the location of the leak coming out of the metal sidewall so I could determine the approximate location and or depth of the hole in the opposing vinyl pool liner. I'm underwater looking for the hole and can't locate it. One has to understand that I am not as svelte as the last time I attempted this maneuver. Let's face it; Fat floats!! In order to assist my under water survey, Mrs. Tyme sat on the edge of the pool and kept me submerged by placing her feet on my shoulders in order to keep me under water.

That's fine when I'm looking for the hole,but my signal for her to release me fell on deaf ears. It also did not help when she placed her thumb over the breathing tube.

After much,much searching I discover a slit in the pool liner bottom about a foot distance from the steady rat stream coming out of the side wall. Mrs.Tyme then prepares the patch for me by applying the vinyl adhesive to the patch and folding it over so that I can rapidly unfold it when under water and apply to the breach in the liner. We were successful on the second attempt.

I fervently hope that the leak is now repaired. Lord knows I don't want to go through that ordeal again anytime soon.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Fixing a leak in our pool

Entertaining post! I "resemble" a lot of it, you certainly have the storytelling gift :)

foodfisher

Captain

Thumb over the breathing tube hmmm you must be well insured.:p

bigdee

Commander

Man,oh man. I would never assign my wife to that duty! I learned my lesson 40 some years ago when my wife almost electrocuted me....long story.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need adult equipment to do that, T2F. Coulda slain your body!

Tyme2fish

Commander

Will this work?

Attachments

• Lloyd Bridges.jpg
    Lloyd Bridges.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0