old motor ??? what year ! made in canada?

chadmilliser

Recruit
Hello guys im new to this forum I just got into boating this year . My first boat I bought was a 1982 wellcraft with a 180 xlt io ! Ive been working on the boat to bring it back to life .

I want to mount another motor on the back as a trolling- backup motor since I live near massena ny and we have the st lawrance uphere.

so today i found a lady that has a motor she was selling for cheap . She told me she did not know anything about it . SO I got there and it looks to be a very very nice 15 horse evinrude. However the motor is old Im thinking 1950s and i have not heard it run . its got compression and spark . The lady lived in a huge house on the river and told me her husband was lazy and has had it for years. She told me he almost had it started but then she told me her husbands clueless on how to fix anything.
It should be a easy fix i bet any money the carb needs cleaning and the points cleaned and new plugs. So she tells me she wants 50.00$ for it. I bought it and now I wana no the info like the year and what not . But heres the problem the motor has a sticker on the top that shows the name of a marina in canada and I think this motor was made in canada .

This is what the plug says thats on the motor near the carb . C0 565622 I cant find these number any were !

the motor is blue with a cover that covers half the top of the motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: old motor ??? what year ! made in canada?

Look for........

Small plate on port transom bracket.

Large plate between transom brackets, facing you as you would look down at in in the boat.

Numbers actually imbedded into the exhaust housing on the port side just under where the powerhead is bolted up to it.

chadmilliser

Recruit

yep ive searched this whole motor over the only numbers are on that quater size plug . i would take a pic of it but i just remebered my wife has my camara in the car. there are no plates any were and no spots for them

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay.... we'll just wait for your wife to bring that camera back to you.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The only Johnson 15hp built in the '50s was 1956 and it was a reddish color and had a metal engine cover with a hinge so it would open like a clamshell. the Evinrude 15 also had a metal cover with a different design. The motors had pressurized gas tanks and a 2 line "siamese" fuel hose.

The next 15hp came out in 1974, it had a fiberglass cover, usually white , and that basic design was produced until 2007 under the Johnson name. Evinrude produced a version of the 15 up to 2001.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Evinrude 15hp models....... 1931-1933, 1941, 1955-1956.... then 1974 etc.......

Johnson 15hp models ....... 1956, 1974 etc..... As stated by Seahorse5 above.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Most cell phones have cameras built in. :D

You better hope its a 1953 - 56 model. Those were the best ones ;)