new boat shopper

vicjunkie

Cadet
ok, looking for suggestions. I am in the market for a new boat this winter, so I thought id get shopping now and try to get an idea of what I want.

I currently pilot a 1985 bayliner 2750 ciera sunbridge. I bought this boat about 3 years ago as a project. I put alot of work in her, but I knew little about boats before this purchase. We enjoy our thime out on the lake, but believe that a upgrade is necessary. she is powered by a 5.7 omc stringer unit.

What I am looking for is something that we can spend multiple nights out on. (we do this on our 2750) I am fairly happy with the perfoemance of the 2750, but a little more pep would be nice. lenght no to exceed 30', wider beam would be good, or a better lay out. (ours feels a little tight on the deck 8'6" beam, but actually only about 7' on deck) I looked at a 1996 formula 27pc the other day, liked it, also looked at a searay 250, like it also. Cabin ac and an onboard gen. is a must. I kind of like the idea of twin engines, as long as I can afford the fuel. Trailerable would be nice, but not a must. Must be newer than a 1990. No omc outdrive. Would like to stay away from the bayliner family, I think. I would like to stay in the 15k to 25k range but closer to 20.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Sam Girten
1985 Bayliner 2750 ciera sunbridge
5.7L omc stringer

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new boat shopper

at that price point, your not getting away from bayliners, unless its 15 to 20 years old, at least around here anyways!!!!!!

vicjunkie

Cadet

I have been looking on boat trader and have seen about everything in that range, rinker, sea ray, maxim, wellcraft, you name it. That formula I looked at was 24k.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Based on your criteria, I suspect you will need at least 25k to go shopping with serious intent. Then take into consideration the sales taxes, registration fees, any upgrades you are going to want to make immediately after taking ownership, doing all of the necessary preventative maintenance before your maiden voyage...you better have 30k to actually spend. My suggestion is a '90-'93 Sea Ray 270/290 Sundancer.

Oh, and with twin sterndrives, figure conservatively 1.5 mpg at cruise speed on anything rougher than glass.

BTW, after around 1989, The "Bayliner family" includes Sea Ray thanks to the Brunswick takeover.

Good luck in your search.

vicjunkie

Cadet

Ok, i am thinking now that the onboard gen is prob not gonna happen and for a/c, i can always get a carry on unit to use at the marina. wider beam would be nice though. what do you guys know about a maxum 2700scr, or a stingray 240cs, or a chaparral signature 28. I also found a glastron gs249, but once again 8'6" beam.

vicjunkie

Cadet

ok, bringing this post back. I have narrowed my search, and am looking for suggestions. Looking at 3 bots presently.

1. 1994 Formula f27-pc has twin 5.7s, brovo 3 out, kohler gen (NEEDS STARTER) full camper enclosure. 672hrs. on trailer 24k, prob could get a little cheaper

2. 1999 Larson 290 cabrio has twin 5.0s, volvo sx out, vkohler gen, mooring cover, 200hrs. on trailer 25k firm

3. 1998 chapparal signature 27 has single 7.4 efi, volvo dp out, no gen, full camper, on trailer 450hrs. 19.5k neg.

any thoughts.

tpenfield

Staff member

I think the Formula is the best bet of the bunch, depending on its actual condition. The Larson is slightly under powered and the Chappy is way under powered.

The 7.4L engines are getting scarce and more expensive to re-power. The 5.7's and 5.0's are 1/2 the price and more available.

Are these salt water or fresh water? If salt, then age of the boat/engine is a factor as well as the hours. An engine that is approaching 20 years in salt water will probably need to be replaced (long block replacement).

Cruisers are selling for a lot less than some of the 'blue book' pricing guides. I could of had a 1993 Formula 31 PC for around $18K earlier this season, but decided to go with more of a 'day boat' than a cruiser.

vicjunkie

Cadet

ok, made up my mind, wound up with a 1990 chaparral sinature 30. It has twin 5,7s, (600 hrs) alpha 1 outdrives, kohler genny, and everything I could ask for. got it on the trailer for 17k

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Wondering where I was when this post started... I usually chime in on express cruiser discussions. Anyway, sounds like you got a nice deal. Enjoy!

emoney

Commander

Let me be the first to say......PICS OR IT DID NOT HAPPEN!!!!

(I love it when I'm first with that)

vicjunkie

Cadet

I am going to get it tomorrow, here is a few pics the previous owner had. 200 miles 1 way. well see how she pulls.

WP_000974.jpg

WP_000951.jpg

WP_000962.jpg

aspeck

Staff member

Looks nice ... Best of luck to you.